VoyForums

VoyUser Login optional ] [ Contact Forum Admin ] [ Main index ] [ Post a new message ] [ Search | Check update time | Archives: 12345678910 ]

[ Next Thread | Previous Thread | Next Message | Previous Message ]

Date Posted: 21:23:04 01/12/17 Thu
Author: Alma Smith
Subject: My Family Quilt

I have been thinking about making a quilt for several months. It is not just any quilt; but, a quilt with my family's hand prints and names. My idea is to have each of my children and their family to trace their handprint onto a piece of material and sign their name underneath their prints. I will take puff fabric paint and outline each print in their favorite color. My DH and I will do this to. I want to have this put on my coffin instead of flowers. I don't want to be morbid; but, would like to have ideas how to piece these fabric pieces together. Any help you can give me, I appreciate it. Thank you.

[ Next Thread | Previous Thread | Next Message | Previous Message ]

Replies:

[> Re: My Family Quilt -- Shirttails, 19:09:36 01/14/17 Sat [1]

You need to know the amount of squares you will need. Then draw up a pattern of squares and perhaps strips if you need filler. Don't forget the total size of the quilt. Each square should have and added 1/2 inch to allow for sewing the material together. If there are only a few members, your squares may be larger and if you have many, you would downsize the square. Its hard to help any further unless we know the total amount of squares you expect to have.

[ Post a Reply to This Message ]
[ Edit | View ]

[> [> Re: My Family Quilt -- Alma, 20:00:11 01/24/17 Tue [1]

Shirttails and bonniek, thank you both so much for your suggestions. Shirttails, I got some graph paper and designed my layout. I included some small blocks with just the names at the top so the quilt will lay over the casket without losing handprints. bonniek, I watched many u tube videos and got more ideas. I hand embroidered around the prints and stuffed the hand and raised the name using stuffing and adding a backing to those squares. I am now waiting for 5 more handprints and names. When it is finished, I will post a picture. It will probably take me until the middle of the year to finish since I have never done anything like this before. It has been a trial and error experience. Thanks again for your help.

[ Edit | View ]

[> Re: My Family Quilt -- bonniek, 20:54:55 01/14/17 Sat [1]

I suggest you watch a few you tube videos that tell you how to make a quilt. Once you see how to make a quilt you can make one any size you like. I was thinking about your funeral idea, and I think a quilt with family connections would be lovely instead of the flower blanket that is often laid across the casket. Those flower blankets are often 48" X 42" To figure out the squares, figure out how many hand prints or whatever you will need and divide to get the number of blocks to make. By the way-if you can't get hand prints for everyone, then shop for fabric that has a design they like, for example John Deere tractors, or dogs, or a scrap of fabric from a favorite dress or shirt. Then just get busy piecing! I think this is a really thoughtful idea.

[ Edit | View ]

VoyUser Login ] Not required to post.
Post a public reply to this message | Go post a new public message
* HTML allowed in marked fields.
Message subject (required):

Name (required):

Expression (Optional mood/title along with your name) Examples: (happy, sad, The Joyful, etc.) help)

E-mail address (optional):

* Type your message here:

Choose Message Icon: [ View Emoticons ]

Notice: Copies of your message may remain on this and other systems on internet. Please be respectful.

[ Contact Forum Admin ]

Forum timezone: GMT-5
VF Version: 3.00b, ConfDB:
Before posting please read our privacy policy.
VoyForums(tm) is a Free Service from Voyager Info-Systems.
Copyright © 1998-2016 Voyager Info-Systems. All Rights Reserved.