Thursday, April 10, 2014 – VoyForums News: 'Heartbleed' vulnerability in OpenSSL
VoyForums
GIVE FREE FOOD
www.TheHungerSite.com
-> Click Here <-
FUND FREE MAMMOGRAMS
www.TheBreastCancerSite.com
-> Click Here <-
Non-profit ad served by VoyForums...

Thu, April 24 2014, 4:00:29 PDTVoyUser Login optional ] [ Contact Forum Admin ] [ Main index ] [ Post a new message ] [ Search | Check update time | Archives: 1234 ]
Subject: Cleaning a well point

Author:
Mark
[ Next Thread | Previous Thread | Next Message | Previous Message ]
Date Posted: 04:46:53 02/13/10 Sat
Author Host/IP: 173-138-225-212.pools.spcsdns.net/173.138.225.212

Hi,

First I want to say thank you for creating the great well website that you have. This is the most informative website that I have found on wells. I have searched your website and this forum, but could not find exactly what I was looking for.

Ok, now for a little background and some questions. I purchased the lake front cottage that I live in about 6 years ago. It was originally built in ~1950s and the edge of the house is 11' from the seawall. It only has a point well that is located in the crawl space with the shallow well jet pump, pressure tank, and hot water heater. I was told that the well pipe is down 15-20 feet. The water level in the pipe is down about 3 feet from the top of the pipe. Over the past 3 years, I have had trouble on and off with the well. I have had tried cleaning it with muriatic acid (the liquid form as I could not find anywhere that carried tablets) and blown compressed air down it in the past which has worked for awhile, but being that it is winter and around 23 deg here in Michigan currently, I can't open every window in my house and let it air out all day if I use muriatic acid and my air compressor just died. With check valve removed and I fill the well pipe up, the water goes down the pipe very slowly. I am just looking for something that I can do right now to temporarily fix my water problem. I am planning on having a new well installed in the summer with a submersible pump, but as I am working on house plans currently I didn't want to put the well in until I had them finished to make sure the well would be out of the way.

When it comes to chemical treatment, I have heard you can clean a well point with muriatic, sulfamic, phosphoric, or glycolic acids, but it is hard to find information on using any of them. Is any one of them safer to use than any other? And where do you get tablets for any of these? Like I said above in the past, I used the muriatic acid liquid, but I don't know how well that penetrates down to the bottom of the well as it gets diluted at the top. I think the tablets would be better as they would fall to the bottom near the screen and have the most effect down there?

I don't have much room in the crawl space under my house, but if I could find a way to sink the well deeper do you think that would be beneficial?

Any help would be greatly appreciated,
Mark Seitz

[ Next Thread | Previous Thread | Next Message | Previous Message ]

Replies:
Subject Author Date
Re: Cleaning a well pointFred Dungan (making do temporarily)14:40:54 02/13/10 Sat
Re: Making do temporarilyMark20:36:43 02/13/10 Sat

VoyUser Login ] Not required to post.
Post a public reply to this message | Go post a new public message
* HTML allowed in marked fields.
* Message subject (required):

* Name (required):

Expression (Optional mood/title along with your name) Examples: (happy, sad, The Joyful, etc.) help)

E-mail address (required):

* Type your message here:

Notice: Copies of your message may remain on this and other systems on internet. Please be respectful.

[ Contact Forum Admin ]

Forum timezone: GMT-8
VF Version: 3.00b, ConfDB:
Before posting please read our privacy policy.
VoyForums(tm) is a Free Service from Voyager Info-Systems.
Copyright © 1998-2012 Voyager Info-Systems. All Rights Reserved.