VoyForums

Thursday, November 23, 08:53:21amVoyUser Login optional ] [ Main index ] [ Post a new message ] [ Search | Check update time | Archives: 123 ]

[ Next Thread | Previous Thread | Next Message | Previous Message ]

Date Posted: 14:12:28 11/28/11 MonPST
Author: Francis Tower
Author Host/IP: 65.114.238.246
Subject: Re: TOUR OF DUTY 1968-69 UDORN THAILAND
In reply to: WILLIAM (BILLY) CLARK 's message, "TOUR OF DUTY 1968-69 UDORN THAILAND" on 14:51:27 08/07/03 ThuPDT

Feb 78 Feb. 79 Udorn RTFB
432nd TRW / Spent about 6 months downloading @ uploading film from RF4C, then volunteered as SP augmentee (AugieDoggie).
Spent time setting trip flares along the perimeter, guarding POL facility and flight line.
Once I watched a T28 take off then immediately turn around and try to land with smoke filling the cockpit. I was guarding ABCCC C-130s when the plane turned on final but headed directly towards me. He was about 50 yards from me when he stalled out and dropped straight down. I ran over to try to render help but the canopy release was twisted. An Air America chopper flew over, a crewman chopped the canopy, loaded the pilot aboard and took off to the hospital.
26 July 78. When the base was attacked on 26 July 78 I was just reporting and drawing my M16 I was tossed into a jeep and dropped off on the flight line. The next night I was posted at a perimeter guard post with a royal Thai Guard who said another guard had been killed there the night before during the attack. A few days later I worked with others trying to build a double wall around the security police building. Digging post holes in the hard soil was a thankless task.
When I arrived we were billeted in two story open bay dorms made of red teak. Mine was called the yellow submarine because ours was the only one painted, a pale banana yellow. I spent most of my leisure time at the USO, taking trips, and teaching photo development at the rec. center and occasionally drinking and bar hoping.
Francis Tower (A1C then, retired O3 now)
frantower@yahoo.com
Boulder, Colorado

[ Next Thread | Previous Thread | Next Message | Previous Message ]

Replies:

[> Re: TOUR OF DUTY 1968-69 UDORN THAILAND -- Tom Baker (Was there), 10:45:02 01/09/13 WedPST (98.212.110.255)

>ANYONE THAT WAS STATIONED IN UDORN AT THIS TIME I
>WOULD LIKE TO HEAR FROM YOU. I AM LIVING IN MERRITT
>ISLAND,FLA. I WAS WITH THE FIRST SHIPMENT TO TAILAND
>AND OPENED THE K-9 KENNELS IN UDORN. I FLEW ON A
>C-141 WITH THE K-9 AND A BULL WHICH WAS A GIFT FOR THE
>KING OF THAILAND. IF YOU REMEMBER THIS HOW ABOUT
>DROPING ME A LINE.
> BILLY CLARK, 575 BAKER RD.,MERRITT ISLAND,FLA
>32953
>PHONE 321-453-5606
Was in the Army stationed at 7thRRFS Jan.68 to Jan69 the same time you mentioned. From central Ohio, but live Lincoln, Illinois now.

[ Post a Reply to This Message ]
[ Edit | View ]

[> [> Re: TOUR OF DUTY 1968-69 UDORN THAILAND -- William Nichter, 07:37:06 07/11/14 FriPDT (173.60.160.236)

Do u know where the relay center and the incinerator was located. On Udorn as I was there 1968-1969. Need that info for mynappeal

[ Post a Reply to This Message ]
[ Edit | View ]

VoyUser Login ] Not required to post.
Post a public reply to this message | Go post a new public message
Note: This forum is moderated -- new posts are not visible until approved.
* HTML allowed in marked fields.
Message subject (required):

Name (required):

Expression (Optional mood/title along with your name) Examples: (happy, sad, The Joyful, etc.) help)

E-mail address (optional):

Type your message here:

Note: This forum is moderated -- new posts are not visible until approved.

Notice: Copies of your message may remain on this and other systems on internet. Please be respectful.

Forum timezone: GMT-8
VF Version: 3.00b, ConfDB:
Before posting please read our privacy policy.
VoyForums(tm) is a Free Service from Voyager Info-Systems.
Copyright © 1998-2017 Voyager Info-Systems. All Rights Reserved.