VoyForums
1 CLICK GIVES FREE FOOD!
www.TheHungerSite.com
Protect Habitat with a Click!
www.TheRainforestSite.com
Non-profit ad served by VoyForums...

Saturday, November 18, 11:26:49amVoyUser Login optional ] [ Main index ] [ Post a new message ] [ Search | Check update time | Archives: 123 ]

[ Next Thread | Previous Thread | Next Message | Previous Message ]

Date Posted: 16:10:27 02/04/17 SatPST
Author: JAMES TILGHMAN (JOYFUL I GOT OUTTA THERE)
Author Host/IP: 24.129.99.150
Subject: Re: 35th Security Police Squadron

>I WAS AT PHAN RANG 31 JAN 1968 TO 30 JAN 1969. I WAS INITIALLY ON PANTHER FLT. DID A NIGHT AT THE WELL. ALSO DID CONVOY TO CAM RHAN BAY AS WELL AS HEAVY WEAPONS. I USED TO HANDLE THE SOUTH SIDE NEAR WASTE POOL AND STRIP GATE. WE GOT HIT A FEW TIMES. THEY TRIED TO TAKE OUT THE POL TANK FARM BUT DID NOT. I HAD A CAPTURED 82MM MORTAR TUBE FIRING 81MM SHELLS. THE AUSSIES USED TO GO OUT AT NIGHT AND MOVE AROUND THE PERIMETER. ONE NIGHT A PIT VIPER GOT UNDER ONE OF THEIR BLOUSE. EVERYONE HAD HIM THEIR PRAYERS. HIS BUDDIES CUT BOTH SIDES OF HIS BLOUSE TO GET THE SNAKE OFF. I WAS ALSO THEIR WHEN THEY HIT THE WELL AND SHOT ONE OF OUR GUYS. AS THE WELL WAS ABOUT A MILE OUTSIDE THE BASE, WE HAD TO GO THRU THE STRIP TO GET TO THE SP'S ON DUTY. I MOSTLY REMEMBER WHEN I WAS RELIEVED AND WAITING FOR DEROS. THIS NITE I AM LYING IN MY BUNK AND THE BASE SIREN AWAKENS ME. WE ARE UNDER ATTACK. I HAD NO JACKET BUT FOUND A HELMET. RAN OUTSIDE TO SEE EXPLOSIONS ON NUI DAT (MOUNTAIN IN MIDDLE OF BASE) ALTERNATE CSC WAS ATOP THE MOUNTAIN. AND THEY WERE WALKING ROCKETS UP THE SIDE. WE KILLED ABOUT 15 ATTACKERS. ONE OF THE HANDLERS WHO WAS SUPPOSE TO LEAVE WITH ME WAS HIT I AM TOLD IN A VERY PRIVATE PLACE. THIS WAS THE SECOND TIME I HAD EXPLOSIONS COMING AT ME. WHEN I WAS ON HEAVY WEAPONS, THEY TRIED TO HIT THE BUNKER WE USED CALLED KHE SAHN (?) IT WAS FULL OF WP AND HIGH EXPLOSIVES. I DON'T HAVE TO TELL YOU HOW WE FELT AT THAT TIME DO I? I WENT TO THE FLIGHT COMMANDER AND ASK PERMISSION TO GO OUT ON DUTY UNTIL I GOT READY TO LEAVE. CHECKED OUT #96 AND WENT BACK OUT THERE. I WAS NOT GONNA BE SUPRISED AGAIN. TO THIS DAY I STILL GET ANXIIOUS WHEN I HEAR AN EXPLOSION OF SORTS. I THANK GOD THAT I GOT OUTTA THERE SAFELY. THE K9 SECTION WAS ACES WITH ME.
I ENDED UP AT LANGLEY AFB. (TAC HQ) ALMOST WISHED I WAS BACK IN SAC (BEALE AFB)

[ Next Thread | Previous Thread | Next Message | Previous Message ]

VoyUser Login ] Not required to post.
Post a public reply to this message | Go post a new public message
Note: This forum is moderated -- new posts are not visible until approved.
* HTML allowed in marked fields.
Message subject (required):

Name (required):

Expression (Optional mood/title along with your name) Examples: (happy, sad, The Joyful, etc.) help)

E-mail address (optional):

Type your message here:

Note: This forum is moderated -- new posts are not visible until approved.

Notice: Copies of your message may remain on this and other systems on internet. Please be respectful.

Forum timezone: GMT-8
VF Version: 3.00b, ConfDB:
Before posting please read our privacy policy.
VoyForums(tm) is a Free Service from Voyager Info-Systems.
Copyright © 1998-2017 Voyager Info-Systems. All Rights Reserved.