VoyForums

Saturday, November 18, 11:26:03amVoyUser Login optional ] [ Main index ] [ Post a new message ] [ Search | Check update time | Archives: 123 ]

[ Next Thread | Previous Thread | Next Message | Previous Message ]

Date Posted: 08:14:47 08/16/17 WedPDT
Author: Ward Shute
Author Host/IP: 71.220.176.43
Subject: Re: 35th Security Police Squadron

If you are talking about the fire fight that occurred at the "Wells" down by the river where the pumps were in Feb-March 1969. I was one of four SP's, SSgt and team leader at the time, and one CE troop. We lost the front bunker, Two SP's wounded, which the CE troop cared for in the bottom of the back bunker. We had been out there at night for most of the week. Mostly very quiet. Night before exchanged light gun fire with unknown size unit and the base got some action. Got out to the wells that night and the old man we had befriended, most cigarette and C-rations, in the house next to us told me that he and his family were leaving. Kept telling me #10, VC coming. Called Donnie up on the hill and he called back and said you got a bad intel report, get ready for company. Donnie, set it up so I could talk with the C-119, using my DOB plus some numbers, that flew cover for us. Since I shot out the perimeter lights, CE troop would not expose himself to cut them off. That also made the commander happy with me. I marked our position for the C-119 with a red lens we had with those old GI green flashlights. There was a QRT was set up to come bail us out but I elected to wave them off concerned about a road ambush at the time. Later, I was proven to be right. I want to say that the commander was a Major Brown, Captain Wright was there and he had ordered us into the bottom of the new bunker Red Horse had built. But the bunker had a blind side on the back so the two of us declined his instructions fearing the worst. Just for the record, a few years ago I met one of the Red Horse troops that built that bunker, He had the photos of the bunker to include a photo of the burned mark and were my helmet was. his son and I were deputy sheriffs together. The closest mortar team also supported us firing flare rounds beyond their range and that's another story. Major had a few unkind words for me later that morning, lol, but overall was pleased with the outcome. That old man and Donnie saved our butts that night. I was a SSgt at the time and usually worked the Echo, Delta or Wells. The guys assigned to my crew often referred to me "As The Marshal of The OK Corral". Hope this answers a few of your questions.
Take Care, Ward

[ Next Thread | Previous Thread | Next Message | Previous Message ]

VoyUser Login ] Not required to post.
Post a public reply to this message | Go post a new public message
Note: This forum is moderated -- new posts are not visible until approved.
* HTML allowed in marked fields.
Message subject (required):

Name (required):

Expression (Optional mood/title along with your name) Examples: (happy, sad, The Joyful, etc.) help)

E-mail address (optional):

Type your message here:

Note: This forum is moderated -- new posts are not visible until approved.

Notice: Copies of your message may remain on this and other systems on internet. Please be respectful.

Forum timezone: GMT-8
VF Version: 3.00b, ConfDB:
Before posting please read our privacy policy.
VoyForums(tm) is a Free Service from Voyager Info-Systems.
Copyright © 1998-2017 Voyager Info-Systems. All Rights Reserved.