VoyForums
[ Show ]
Support VoyForums
[ Shrink ]
VoyForums Announcement: Programming and providing support for this service has been a labor of love since 1997. We are one of the few services online who values our users' privacy, and have never sold your information. We have even fought hard to defend your privacy in legal cases; however, we've done it with almost no financial support -- paying out of pocket to continue providing the service. Due to the issues imposed on us by advertisers, we also stopped hosting most ads on the forums many years ago. We hope you appreciate our efforts.

Show your support by donating any amount. (Note: We are still technically a for-profit company, so your contribution is not tax-deductible.) PayPal Acct: Feedback:

Donate to VoyForums (PayPal):

Saturday, April 20, 08:09:51amLogin ] [ Main index ] [ Post a new message ] [ Search | Check update time | Archives: 12[3] ]

[ Next Thread | Previous Thread | Next Message | Previous Message ]

Date Posted: 13:10:13 06/13/03 FriPDT
Author: JOHN P. OSWALD
Author Host/IP: 155.82.145.253
Subject: 8TH ARMY SENTRY DOG HANDLERS SCHOOL

I don't know if you worked at the same Dog Handlers School that I attended in about March 1972, but I went to Camp Howard for Dog Handlers traing. The instructors name I believe was (Korean National) Mr. In, and the Vet Tech's last name was Rattray. The actual training area was situated about 15 minutes from the main camp. I still remember the quite dusty ride every morning to get to the training area which included the dog kennels, vet room, and the obstacle course. I don't know of any other dog handler training school in the Seoul, Korea area. I was stationed at Camp Colburn, 15 miles south of Seoul. It is a now defunct Sergeant missle base, where we guarded the missle bunkers. I hope this information is usefull. I would appreciate any replys. Thank you. jpo

[ Next Thread | Previous Thread | Next Message | Previous Message ]

Replies:

[> Re: 8th Army Sentry Dog School -- Monty Moore, 10:15:12 06/15/03 SunPDT (206.224.76.169)

By the late 70's, the 8th Army Dog School had been moved to Camo Carroll. Camp Carroll is a small Army base in central Korea situated North of Taegu in Waegwan, South Korea. Camp Carroll lies 20 air miles northeast of the city of Taegu, approximately 40 minutes in travel time. Camp Carroll consists of 546 acres in the Nak Tong River Valley, approximately one-quarter mile east of the historic Nak Tong River. The terrain is hilly, with surrounding mountains. Weather is similar to that of the Midwestern United States--hot and humid in the summer, cold and windy in the winter. One of it's primary functions is to house millions of dollars in war reserve stocks, to include everything from tanks to tools. Giant garages house repair facilities where wheeled equipment weighing several tons can be disassembled, or a sensitive electronic circuit board can be checked for invisible cracks. It is unknown if the school is still open, as it's only mission was to train KOrean handlers working sentry dogs.

[ Edit | View ]

[> [> Re: 8th Army Sentry Dog School -- Bob Moeser, 21:02:08 08/29/03 FriPDT (66.82.9.23)

I was stationed in Camp Carroll in 1964 with the 820th Military Police Platoon (Dog). We trained all dog handlers in Korea at that time, no Koreans, just army GI's. Everything else about Camp Carroll in this post is dead accurate.

[ Edit | View ]

Forum timezone: GMT-8
VF Version: 3.00b, ConfDB:
Before posting please read our privacy policy.
VoyForums(tm) is a Free Service from Voyager Info-Systems.
Copyright © 1998-2019 Voyager Info-Systems. All Rights Reserved.