VoyForums

Monday, November 20, 06:40:46pmVoyUser Login optional ] [ Main index ] [ Post a new message ] [ Search | Check update time | Archives: 123 ]

[ Next Thread | Previous Thread | Next Message | Previous Message ]

Date Posted: 16:56:52 01/17/08 ThuPST
Author: Ronald T Carlton
Author Host/IP: 71.118.65.39
Subject: Re: PLEIKU AFB K-9 (633d, 6254th SPS)
In reply to: LEE FICARRA 's message, "PLEIKU AFB K-9 (633d, 6254th SPS)" on 08:44:06 01/02/05 SunPST

>I WAS A DOG HANDLER AT PLEIKU 11-68 TO 11-70 I HANDLED
>PAL M651 AND REX. IN LATE 70 WHEN THE CHANGE CAME I
>WAS SWITHCHED TO A QRT TEAM WITH SSGT. S.L. BLEVENS AS
>LEADER. I WOULD LIKE TO HEAR FROM ANYONE. IS THERE A
>JIM CONAHAND OUT THERE IF SO LET'S HEAR FROM YOU

Hi Lee, I handled Rex 766E in 67. Stationed with the 633rd at Pleiku. Hope you can make it to the War Dog Remembrance in February. Saw your pictures of Rex. They brought back a whole lot of memmories. Would like to hear from you sometime!

[ Next Thread | Previous Thread | Next Message | Previous Message ]

Replies:

[> Re: PLEIKU AFB K-9 (633d, 6254th SPS) -- Randy Buckler, 09:08:48 01/27/10 WedPST (66.188.60.81)

>I WAS A DOG HANDLER AT PLEIKU 11-68 TO 11-70 I HANDLED
>PAL M651 AND REX. IN LATE 70 WHEN THE CHANGE CAME I
>WAS SWITHCHED TO A QRT TEAM WITH SSGT. S.L. BLEVENS AS
>LEADER. I WOULD LIKE TO HEAR FROM ANYONE. IS THERE A
>JIM CONAHAND OUT THERE IF SO LET'S HEAR FROM YOU
I was Pleiku Ab from 6/69 thru 6/70. I was a medic and did several "sweeps" with security police, also patrolled perimeter at night with QRT and with sgt. D. Dimmick, tried finding some of the guys lately but unable to find anyone>

[ Post a Reply to This Message ]
[ Edit | View ]

[> [> Re: PLEIKU AFB K-9 (633d, 6254th SPS) -- Tom Weeks, 14:40:22 02/02/12 ThuPST (24.18.252.46)

I, was an SP at Pleiku from 12/69-1/71. For quite a while, I worked on SSgt Dimick's LE flight (Phantom), generally as Desk Sgt. I also drove the M-113 as part of his QRT. If you were hanging around with "Dynamite D." we probably met. The medic I most remember from that time was named "Griego" I believe; though there was naother medic we used to hang with whose name I don't recall. I went with Griego to provide security on a medcap visit to one of the 'Yard villages out by the big lake North of the base. I also have some pictures of SSgt. Dimick & others during a medcap mission to Hamlet 7 where we gave shots to kids.

Our great project with the medics was skin a python that had been killed on the perimeter (the meat went to the VNAF QCs for dinner). We used hypodermic needles to tack down the python skin on plywood to dry it out. I think Dimick wanted to make it into a belt. I don't recall if the skin dried properly, or what became of it.

We also relied on the medics to ID a 6' long green pit viper that SSgt Bannister beat to death with a steel rod in the Central Security Control (CSC) one morning.

It was a stunner to see SSgt. Dimick's name on your posting. I haven't had any contact with those I served with, but wonder about them often. Thanks for sharing your story.

I also recall K-9 Dobie and his handler (named Randy, possbly "Randy Tate," I think). Dobie was being retrained from an attack dog to a command dog at the time. The VNAF owned the perimeter, so Randy & Dobie patrolled the USAF Cantonment Area. We were the 6254th ABG by then. As part of the process (or maybe just to mess with us)Randy used to sic sic on us (on leash), then call him out and have us approach and pet Dobie. After a while, I felt pretty comfortable around Dobie. One night on the LE Desk, Randy & Dobie stopped by during their patrol. I reached down to scratch Dobie's ears and he came at me like gangbusters! Thank God for Randy's quick reflexes. The next think I knew, Dobies snarling jaws were about a millimeter from my hand and Randy had his thumb in one of Dobie's ears and middle finger in the other, holding him back for all he was worth. A quick finger count confirmed no harm done. But we did set Dobie back a week in Command Dog School!

Welcome Home All!

[ Post a Reply to This Message ]
[ Edit | View ]

VoyUser Login ] Not required to post.
Post a public reply to this message | Go post a new public message
Note: This forum is moderated -- new posts are not visible until approved.
* HTML allowed in marked fields.
Message subject (required):

Name (required):

Expression (Optional mood/title along with your name) Examples: (happy, sad, The Joyful, etc.) help)

E-mail address (optional):

Type your message here:

Note: This forum is moderated -- new posts are not visible until approved.

Notice: Copies of your message may remain on this and other systems on internet. Please be respectful.

Forum timezone: GMT-8
VF Version: 3.00b, ConfDB:
Before posting please read our privacy policy.
VoyForums(tm) is a Free Service from Voyager Info-Systems.
Copyright © 1998-2017 Voyager Info-Systems. All Rights Reserved.