VoyForums

VoyUser Login optional ] [ Contact Forum Admin ] [ Main index ] [ Post a new message ] [ Search | Check update time | Archives: 1234 ]
Subject: jackson history

Author:
brenda s phenis
[ Next Thread | Previous Thread | Next Message | Previous Message ]
Date Posted: 23:50:19 09/16/09 Wed
Author Host/IP: host671420014130.direcway.com/67.142.130.14

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Tribe: Cherokee we think
Ancestors Name: JACKSON, Porter
Nee:
Date of Birth: 1807
State: Kentucky
Comment: I am the daughter of Eddie and Pansy BAKER he was the son of Charlie BAKER and his wife Mattie Parks BAKER ( of Richmond In formerly of Clay Co KY) son of Lincoln Riley BAKER b1865 he was the son of John Cooney RILEY b1835 and his wife Esther BAKER b in 1805. Esther BAKER was the daughter of John Hammond BAKER b Oct 1793 in NC I believe and his wife Lucinda AMIS b 1805 John Cooney RILEY'S father was John Gransir RILEY b 1794. You can trace our Baker line back to Andrew BAKER that married a Raintree that was born on a NC Cherokee reservation. Lincoln Riley BAKER wife was Mahaley Evans BAKER, she was the daughter of Sylvester EVANS b1831 he was married to a lady by the name of lucinda they had a housekeeper named Mary JACKSON b 1845 she was the mother of Mahala EVANS she also had 10 more children by Sylvester before she finally gave up waiting on him and married a MCINTOUSH, Marys parents were Porter b 1807 in Tenn Mary JACKSON was born 1827 in Va we believe Porter and Mary got married in Va in 1843. they're both full blooded cherokee PORTER and his sister Elizabeth were born in Tenn their mother hid them in a tree when Andrew JACKSON massacred and killed everyone in their village, when they heard crying and found where their mother hid them he decided to take the children back with him to Hermitage I have been told and raise them as slaves when Andrew Jackson died they were given their freedom.They think this was around 1815 that the village was leveled. Elizabeth married a black man and moved to Chicago. Porter and Mary moved to ky from Va. Around 1860 he moved to Perry co Ky and reversed his name. He became friends with Reverend William STIDHAM where he settled on some of his land. In 1885 Porters son John married Martha STIDHAM the daughter of Morris and Polly Campbell STIDHAM they had 6 children.Mahaley died in 1948 she lived with my Grandparents Mattie and Charlie BAKER. If so do you have any more information on our native history? I've hit a brick wall can you help Porter was listed on the Breathitt ky census for 3 years as Indian I can trace our line all the way back to Porter but I'm now having trouble with the baker and the riley side of our family trying to find our native roots. any information you can send me would be helpful any information on the different rolls and how to trace the name to make sure you have the right person
The Porter & Mary Jackson Family of Perry Co Ky
Porter Jackson, b. 1807 Tn. m. 1843 to Mary ____? b. 1827 Va. They both died after 1884.
James Jackson, b. 1844 Va.
no further data
Ellen Jackson, b. 1846 Va.
no further data
Martha Jackson, b. 1850 Va.
no further data
David Jackson, b. 1851 Va. & m. 1873 to Sarah ____? b. 1855
David Jackson Jr., b. 1874
Susan Jackson, b. 1879
Mary Jackson, b. 1853 Breathitt Co. Ky.
no further data
Sarah Jackson, b. 1855 Breathitt Co. Ky. & m. a Crafford in 1871
Henry Crafford, b. 1872
Susan Crafford, b. 1874
Liddy Crafford, b. 1876
Polly Crafford, b. 1879
Parriott Jackson, b. 1857 Breathitt Co. Ky.
no further data
John Anderson Jackson, b. 2 Dec. 1859 Breathitt Co. Ky. and married in 1885 to Martha Stidham (the dau of Morris & Polly Campbell Stidham
Polly Jackson, b. 25 April, 1887 & d. 15 Aug. 1911 Perry Co Ky
Elvira Jackson, b. 10 April, 1891 Perry Co Ky
James W. Jackson, b. 23 July, 1892 Perry Co & d. Oct 1975 Stanton, Ky
Joseph Jackson, b. 31 March, 1894 & d. 13 July, 1960 Perry Co
Elizabeth Jackson, b. 11 May, 1896 & d. 16 Aug. 1978 Perry Co
Mary Jackson, b. 1900
A Short History of My Jackson Family
Although everyone in the family has heard the stories grandma Molly used to tell about her Indian heritage I have as this writing not been able to find any trace of native American blood in the Combs line. But, the Jackson side is another story and various blood lines abound. Here is how I see it after combining all of the tales I have heard along with numerous documents and records.
Probably in a small village on the Mississippi River in what is now western Tennessee is where our progenitor was born about the year 1807. He was full-blooded Cherokee. His Indian name was told to me to be Powtan or Poutan or something similar. One must remember that these were troubled times for the eastern Cherokee and they were being continually pushed westward by the white man. An aspiring young General was trying to make a name for himself and was doing his level best to do it at the expense of the Indian. His name was Andrew Jackson.
As the story goes, General Jackson was leading a raiding party into Tennessee, probably around the year 1815, and came upon the village where our ancestors lived. He ordered his men to spare noone and they did not. Every man, woman and child was massacred. While assembling his men General Jackson heard some faint crying sounds and after a search was conducted he found two small children hidden in a hollowed out tree stump. Their mother had put them there for safety before the soldiers killed her. Jackson took these children, a boy and a girl, back with him to be used as slaves. One took the name Elizabeth Jackson and it is said that she married a black man and moved to the Chicago area. The other took the name Porter Jackson and I would have to guess that after the death of the then President Andrew Jackson, Porter was set free. Porter was in Virginia at this time and this is where he met his wife to be, Mary.
Porter married in 1843 to Mary. This is all that I know about this woman. She is listed with Porter every census and she is listed as either Indian or mulatto. Whether or not she really was Indian is not yet known and may never be known. On the census she gives her birth year as 1827 and in the state of Virginia. Mary was a full 20 years younger than Porter. Their first child was James b. 1844 followed by Ellen b. 1846, Martha b. 1850, David b. 1851. Their next child was Mary b. 1853 and she was the first of their children to be born in their new home in Breathitt Co. Ky. Porter and Mary had moved from Va. to Ky. sometime around 1852. Other children followed; Sarah b. 1855, Parriott b. 1857 and their last child John Anderson Jackson b. 2 Dec. 1859.
For whatever reason old Porter packed up and moved to Perry Co. Ky. during the 1860s and reversed his name thus becoming Jackson Porter. This makes me think that maybe Porter got into a bit of trouble and opted for a change of scenery. He had the good fortune to run into the Reverend William Stidham who let him settle on some of his land which was later purchased by John A. Jackson and became the old homestead on Meadow Branch. By the 1880 census Porter and Mary had once again taken the Jackson surname and were well established in Perry County. The closest thing to a will for Porter was a conveyance from Porter to his son John in 1884 which gave all of his land and material possessions to John if John would provide for and keep Porter for his remaining years. I can find no further records on Porter after 1884. There are two unmarked graves in the Jackson cemetery on Meadow Branch which are located on either side of an old tree which I believe belong to Porter and Mary. All of the graves that lie in a straight line away from these two graves are Jacksons so this is how I came up with my deduction.
After Porters death John Jackson took over the old homestead and married in 1885 to Martha Stidham, the daughter of Morris and Polly Campbell Stidham. John and Martha lived out their lives on Meadow Branch along with their six children; Polly, Elvira, James, Joseph, Elizabeth and Mary. I never heard any bad things about John but the way I understand it, he didn't take much lip from anyone, even if he was a little on the short side. The pictures I have seen of John always show him with a large handle-bar mustache and dad said that he smoked a pipe and would thump you on the head with it if you made him mad. John would say that the pipe was there so he could bite down on it and tighten his teeth.
Martha died in 1929 and John passed on in 1947. Both are buried in the Jackson Cemetery on Meadow Branch. Their son James was born in 1892 and worked in the mines for awhile until the good Lord called him to preach. He teamed up with another preacher named ticky Jim and they went on the circuit spreading the word of God. Jim evidently was quite prominent among the churches in the area because he eventually was named to the governing body of the churches. This unfortunately didn't last long mainly because of Jim's desire for moonshine and women. I heard that he took to hoboing and would catch a train to New York and back again just to get away. He did all this while married to Cora Collins whom he married in 1915. Cora was the daughter of Arch and Cynth Hacker Collins. Jim finally divorced Cora and remarried to Martha Campbell and had six more children by her, he and Cora had nine - 15 total children. Jim died in 1975. can anyone help me with this am I correct so far
can anyone add to the story?

[ Next Thread | Previous Thread | Next Message | Previous Message ]

VoyUser Login ] Not required to post.
Post a public reply to this message | Go post a new public message
* HTML allowed in marked fields.
Message subject (required):

Name (required):

Expression (Optional mood/title along with your name) Examples: (happy, sad, The Joyful, etc.) help)

E-mail address (required):

Type your message here:

Choose Message Icon: [ View Emoticons ]

Notice: Copies of your message may remain on this and other systems on internet. Please be respectful.

[ Contact Forum Admin ]

Forum timezone: GMT-8
VF Version: 3.00b, ConfDB:
Before posting please read our privacy policy.
VoyForums(tm) is a Free Service from Voyager Info-Systems.
Copyright © 1998-2012 Voyager Info-Systems. All Rights Reserved.