VoyForums
[ Show ]
Support VoyForums
[ Shrink ]
VoyForums Announcement: Programming and providing support for this service has been a labor of love since 1997. We are one of the few services online who values our users' privacy, and have never sold your information. We have even fought hard to defend your privacy in legal cases; however, we've done it with almost no financial support -- paying out of pocket to continue providing the service. Due to the issues imposed on us by advertisers, we also stopped hosting most ads on the forums many years ago. We hope you appreciate our efforts.

Show your support by donating any amount. (Note: We are still technically a for-profit company, so your contribution is not tax-deductible.) PayPal Acct: Feedback:

Donate to VoyForums (PayPal):

Login ] [ Contact Forum Admin ] [ Main index ] [ Post a new message ] [ Search | Check update time | Archives: 123[4] ]
Subject: Re: Would a social security system just for Jiwakans work?

Author:
pengkes
[ Next Thread | Previous Thread | Next Message | Previous Message ]
Date Posted: 10:42:06 11/24/03 Mon
In reply to: Ngal 's message, "Would a social security system just for Jiwakans work?" on 18:57:09 11/20/03 Thu

Social security will definitely work for Jiwaka as it did for other developed countries like Australia and America.Though, we we are not in anyway near their status in terms of development ( Lord knows when?),the idea and desire to have one is everwhlming, considering the many benefits it serves...But it will remain a fantasy unless a miracle happens in our corrupt ineffective system of governance.

Over to you.

pengkes.

[ Next Thread | Previous Thread | Next Message | Previous Message ]

Replies:
[> [> Subject: We ALREADY have a social security system just for Jiwakans

Author:
geeez
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 15:13:55 12/01/03 Mon

I think you need to get out of your coconut headed shells, caused by to much overseas schooling.

We already have a social security system just for Jiwakans, and nothing further is needed. We have had that same social security system for hundreds of generations. It's called families taking care of their elders. Why would we need anything else? The reason why Australia, America, etc. etc. have their government systems is because their family systems broke down. That's nothing to look up to. It's rong bilong ol. Besides if you read these days their own gov social security systems are slowly going banckrupt.

Let's think of our own cultural roots for solutions before we get on another overseas foriegn bandwagon and end up with another stupid idea that is not appropriate for our culture!!!!
[> [> [> Subject: Re: We ALREADY have a social security system just for Jiwakans

Author:
pengkes
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 15:21:11 12/04/03 Thu

I agree that we used to have a traditional social security which has been in practised for many years...We tend to have great respect for our elders and that reflects in the help and support that we give them..however looking at the current trend, this sort of provision is gradually fading has we move towards a more capitalist oriented society..Individuals try to look after their needs more than others..And this traditional sort of helping another can be threatened...Thus what we have to consider is a program that can take into consideration both the traditional norm of helping one another and the western way of deliverance to come up with an effective and efficient social security that can be both practical and be maintained in a manner accepted in our culture.
Don't forget..what we all learnt are western concept whether you are in PNg or schooling in overseas..All it matters is how you utulise what you learnt in the best possible way that could help develop our area..
[> [> [> [> Subject: Re: We ALREADY have a social security system just for Jiwakans

Author:
add on observer
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 05:43:32 12/05/03 Fri

What you both say is true.

I would say that the overwhelming environment in nearly all of Jiwaka-land is still fairly traditional.

We have seen already how very very few PNG's are able to do business or other things more typical in western world.

To propose a western form of social security, I think, invites the same disaster as most other western ideas have left to.

Think back to NPF saga. So much money stolen or embezeled instead of given to rightful owners. ETc etc etc etc etc.

I'm also unclear why in God's name it is good to be moving more towards capitalism when capitalism creates millions of homeless throughout the world and so many other disasters. Why?
[> [> [> [> [> Subject: Good point about capitalism!

Author:
geeez
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 15:17:07 12/08/03 Mon

I must say that while many Christians might consider themselves capitalists, or capitalists call themselves Christians, capitalism has gotta be one of the least Christian ways of life there is on this planet. For every capitalist who donates part of his profit to the poor, seeks to help his workers keep job stability, only works to achieve a modest level of living, and so on, there are 100 others are are ME FIRST all the way with their lives, their actions, and their beliefs. Yu tok tru - I also don't see that greater capitalism in PNG will lead to greater happiness. More capitalism has already brought far more rascalism than we ever had in the past.

Isn't it interesting? A Hindu woman could walk the streets at night of any number of India's giant cities and have no problem. Same with mostly Buddhist Japan. So there you go. Capitalism-Christianity, me oh my I don't think we need it either!!!!

[ Contact Forum Admin ]

Forum timezone: GMT+10
VF Version: 3.00b, ConfDB:
Before posting please read our privacy policy.
VoyForums(tm) is a Free Service from Voyager Info-Systems.
Copyright © 1998-2019 Voyager Info-Systems. All Rights Reserved.