VoyForums
[ Show ]
Support VoyForums
[ Shrink ]
VoyForums Announcement: Programming and providing support for this service has been a labor of love since 1997. We are one of the few services online who values our users' privacy, and have never sold your information. We have even fought hard to defend your privacy in legal cases; however, we've done it with almost no financial support -- paying out of pocket to continue providing the service. Due to the issues imposed on us by advertisers, we also stopped hosting most ads on the forums many years ago. We hope you appreciate our efforts.

Show your support by donating any amount. (Note: We are still technically a for-profit company, so your contribution is not tax-deductible.) PayPal Acct: Feedback:

Donate to VoyForums (PayPal):

Login ] [ Contact Forum Admin ] [ Main index ] [ Post a new message ] [ Search | Check update time | Archives: 1[2]345678 ]

[ Next Thread | Previous Thread | Next Message | Previous Message ]

Date Posted: 15:36:55 12/17/03 Wed
Author: Charity
Subject: Re: 30 min. vs. 40 min. workout
In reply to: Coli 's message, "Re: 30 min. vs. 40 min. workout" on 10:58:26 12/04/03 Thu

There is so much controversy about this issue! Most curves employees will tell you they don't "recommend" it and say it's for health concerns but I've been absolutely fine to do more and my doctor has agreed.

When I go over 30 minutes I make sure that for the first 30 minutes I work out as HARD as I possibly can on the machines. For me this usually means that I take it more easy on the pads and sometimes only step in place. My heart rate stays at 75% of MHR using this method. Then at 30 minutes, I change my strategy - I make sure I move a lot on the pads and take it semi easy on the machines. My theory is that I'm not taxing my muscles but I AM burning more fat through sustained aerobic activity.

From what I have read on the subject, your body needs to be at a Target Heart Rate for at LEAST 10 minutes (some say at least 20 minutes) before your body will even BEGIN to reach for your fat stores. Before that, your body is just burning available glucose. I've also read that your body will keep burning fat at much the same rate until you've sustained this exercise for 60 minutes and then the rate of fat burning will slow.

I feel like - once I've pressed through the 10-20 minute barrier to begin burning fat - I want to maximize that workout!

Coupling this kind of activity with the Curves meal plan, I hvae lost an average of 2.6 lbs a week.

>my advice is to try it. there are different things
>that work for different people. Most people find the
>best success with 30-minutes, 3 times a week because
>if you increase the number of times per week or the
>length of the workout, you tend to not work as hard
>and the extra time spent really doesn't add to your
>results.
>
>But if you feel you can go ALL OUT on the machines for
>a full 40 minute workout, more power to you. i've
>been a member for 16 months and those 24 machines are
>MORE Than enough even still....I just work harder when
>it seems to be too easy....I don't add any more
>machines. but I did experiement with going more often
>and saw my results slow, greatly. been back at 3
>times a week for a full year now.
>
>>Has anyone had better success with losing weight
>>and/or inches by increasing their workouts from 30
>>minutes to 40 minutes? I have only been a member for 3
>>weeks and when I have the time (and energy), I have
>>increased my workout to 40 minutes a couple times.

[ Next Thread | Previous Thread | Next Message | Previous Message ]

[ Contact Forum Admin ]

Forum timezone: GMT-5
VF Version: 3.00b, ConfDB:
Before posting please read our privacy policy.
VoyForums(tm) is a Free Service from Voyager Info-Systems.
Copyright © 1998-2019 Voyager Info-Systems. All Rights Reserved.