VoyForums
[ Show ]
Support VoyForums
[ Shrink ]
VoyForums Announcement: Programming and providing support for this service has been a labor of love since 1997. We are one of the few services online who values our users' privacy, and have never sold your information. We have even fought hard to defend your privacy in legal cases; however, we've done it with almost no financial support -- paying out of pocket to continue providing the service. Due to the issues imposed on us by advertisers, we also stopped hosting most ads on the forums many years ago. We hope you appreciate our efforts.

Show your support by donating any amount. (Note: We are still technically a for-profit company, so your contribution is not tax-deductible.) PayPal Acct: Feedback:

Donate to VoyForums (PayPal):

Login ] [ Contact Forum Admin ] [ Main index ] [ Post a new message ] [ Search | Check update time | Archives: 1234[5]678 ]

[ Next Thread | Previous Thread | Next Message | Previous Message ]

Date Posted: 16:17:28 04/26/03 Sat
Author: Justine
Subject: Re: kinda bummed
In reply to: Cristi 's message, "kinda bummed" on 17:56:01 04/25/03 Fri

Hey there. Congrats on your loss!! (that sounds funny, but is appropriate for this board)

Don't be disapointed with your results, especially on the first weigh-in. Most ladies will gain both pounds and inches in the first month because they're gaining muscle, and muscle weighs more than fat. Gaining muscle is a good thing because it's going to raise your metabolism and help you burn fat more efficiently. The gain in inches can be water, different clothes, or the person measuring you. (It's tough to put the tape measure on the exact same spot every time)

But I was hoping to clarify something for you. You can't loose and gain body fat at the same time. When the machine reads that your body fat percentage has gone up, that can be a good thing OR a bad thing (not both). That's because it's a PERCENTAGE. Every time your weight changes, you're going to take a new percentage of a new number. 30% of 150 pounds is much different than 30% of 250 pounds. It's hard to understand, but hopefully it will make sense to you. So don't pay attention to the percentage (there is no "ideal" body fat percentage because it depends on how much you weigh) but rather focus on how many pounds of body fat that ends up being. To find out how many body fat pounds you have, multiply your weight by the percentage that the machine says. (Example: I weigh 147 and my body fat % is 24.3 - so multiply 147 X .243 and that equals 35. This means I have 35 pounds of body fat) Ideally a woman will have about 30 pounds of body fat to be healthy, but that's going to also depend on your height, genetics, etc. etc. etc.

So.... even though the number went up by a tenth of a percentage, that can still mean that you lost body fat pounds. Make sense? I hope so! It's a hard concept but it's my #1 goal in my facility to educate our ladies about the body fat/compostion concept. If you're still confused I can try to explain it more. Check out this article too, it's very informative.

http://www.bodytrends.com/articles/body_comp/bodycompomronnw.htm

Congrats again!!

justine

>Hi, everyone.
>
>I had my first weigh-in/measurement yesterday. I was a
>little disappointed in my results...
>
>First, the positive results...I lost 2.5 pounds, and I
>lost .86 pound of body fat
>
>The not-so-positive results...I gained .75 inches, and
>.10% body fat.
>
>I'm trying to keep a positive attitude, but I'm also
>allowing myself some time to pout! :-)

[ Next Thread | Previous Thread | Next Message | Previous Message ]

Replies:

[ Contact Forum Admin ]

Forum timezone: GMT-5
VF Version: 3.00b, ConfDB:
Before posting please read our privacy policy.
VoyForums(tm) is a Free Service from Voyager Info-Systems.
Copyright © 1998-2019 Voyager Info-Systems. All Rights Reserved.