VoyForums
[ Show ]
Support VoyForums
[ Shrink ]
VoyForums Announcement: Programming and providing support for this service has been a labor of love since 1997. We are one of the few services online who values our users' privacy, and have never sold your information. We have even fought hard to defend your privacy in legal cases; however, we've done it with almost no financial support -- paying out of pocket to continue providing the service. Due to the issues imposed on us by advertisers, we also stopped hosting most ads on the forums many years ago. We hope you appreciate our efforts.

Show your support by donating any amount. (Note: We are still technically a for-profit company, so your contribution is not tax-deductible.) PayPal Acct: Feedback:

Donate to VoyForums (PayPal):

Login ] [ Contact Forum Admin ] [ Main index ] [ Post a new message ] [ Search | Check update time | Archives: 1234[5]678 ]

[ Next Thread | Previous Thread | Next Message | Previous Message ]

Date Posted: 15:17:24 05/01/03 Thu
Author: Coli
Subject: Re: Is this really that bad to do....
In reply to: Tracy B 's message, "Is this really that bad to do...." on 14:10:20 05/01/03 Thu

After only 4 workouts, I imagine you aren't hurting yourself yet because remember, your heart is a muscle and by combining the cardio with the strength training, you are working ALL your muscles so they will all get into better shape :)

The chart on the wall is also a suggested AVERAGE for those ages. There are plenty of people who have a slower or faster than average heart rate as well as those who might have an average resting rate but as soon as they move it soars. A better way to determine if you are doing ok is to make sure you aren't sweating buckets and that you can talk at least a little while working out. Not necessarily while putting your all into the machines, but in general. If you aren't able to talk when you get off a machine, you might want to slow it down a little bit. a little at a time until you find your threshold.

Another suggestion is that you wait 3-5 seconds on the next machine if your heart rate is too high. They suggest the wait on the machine instead of the recovery station because if you stop for 5 seconds on the recovery station, your muscles aren't getting their full 30 second recovery from being used all out on the last machine. but resting on the next machine, you are about ready to use different muscles and it's ok to wait. you aren't really losing a whole lot in that 5 seconds and it REALLY does help bring the heart rate down.

You should notice some changes in that even after the first full month of workouts...I reduced my average heart rate from 141 per minute to 132 per minute. And basically, the only thing about staying in the "zone" is that you are in a better FAT BURNING level as opposed to Fat and Muscle or strictly muscle. And since most of us are trying to burn off excess fat, staying around 65% is the goal.

Does that help?
Coli

>After every heartbeat count, my Curves trainers go
>around the circle and ask each one of us what color
>zone we are in - just to monitor us, tell us to rest a
>bit, etc. I usually lie becuase I'm usually in the
>blue or purple zone.
>
>Am I doing a disservice to my workout by being this
>high? I don't do crazy things to get that high
>heartbeat count, I just get that high. (By the way, I
>only have 4 workouts under my belt so far. And I walk
>5-10 min to get to my Curves so I already start with a
>semi-elevatd heartbeat.)
>
>Can someone please explain to me what is bad about
>being so high? Sorry to be naive about it.
>
>Thanks in advance, as always. (I don't always get to
>say thanks to each of your responses because my 15
>month old keeps me busy!)
>:)
>Tracy

[ Next Thread | Previous Thread | Next Message | Previous Message ]

Replies:

[ Contact Forum Admin ]

Forum timezone: GMT-5
VF Version: 3.00b, ConfDB:
Before posting please read our privacy policy.
VoyForums(tm) is a Free Service from Voyager Info-Systems.
Copyright © 1998-2019 Voyager Info-Systems. All Rights Reserved.