VoyForums
[ Show ]
Support VoyForums
[ Shrink ]
VoyForums Announcement: Programming and providing support for this service has been a labor of love since 1997. We are one of the few services online who values our users' privacy, and have never sold your information. We have even fought hard to defend your privacy in legal cases; however, we've done it with almost no financial support -- paying out of pocket to continue providing the service. Due to the issues imposed on us by advertisers, we also stopped hosting most ads on the forums many years ago. We hope you appreciate our efforts.

Show your support by donating any amount. (Note: We are still technically a for-profit company, so your contribution is not tax-deductible.) PayPal Acct: Feedback:

Donate to VoyForums (PayPal):

Login ] [ Contact Forum Admin ] [ Main index ] [ Post a new message ] [ Search | Check update time | Archives: 123456[7]8 ]

[ Next Thread | Previous Thread | Next Message | Previous Message ]

Date Posted: 17:07:01 03/09/03 Sun
Author: Jeannie from Jersey
Subject: Re: Men at Curves
In reply to: Karen 's message, "Men at Curves" on 16:41:50 03/09/03 Sun

You know - I don't want to contribute to beating a dead-horse as I can see that this debate was quite enthusiastically waged a little bit ago on this board... but I would just like to add this: Curves is marketed towards women. Pretty strongly, I might add. So the kind of men who would WANT to join are more than likely not the kind who you need to perceive as a threat of any kind. They may be men who feel intimidated by big beefy men at health clubs. They may be men who, for some reason, are unable to fit in to a regular health-club scene. They may be men anxious to make a point. Either he will fit in, or he will tire of it and leave. I believe it to be a self-limiting problem. The bigger we make it, the bigger it will be...

You need to figure out why this is such a big deal to you... I always thought it was stupid how men objected so strenuously to women joining military academies. I figure - if she can hold her own -then "you go girl"... what's the big deal?? I think the same can be said about a man joining Curves - if you can handle it - giddy-up cowboy! Personally, I do not know many men who could hold-up for long in that situation. A few weeks, maybe. But apart from that... not really.

It has been said - "You wouldn't worry so much about what other people thought about you, if you realized how seldom they did". Whay are so many women convinced that a man who decided that Curves is the right environment for him to exercice would be there to "scope them out"... In the event that you did find such a man eye-balling you repeatedly, you could always mention it to the owner. I am sure that it is something that would be addressed, just the same as if a woman was eyeballing you up...

Bottom line - don't make this a bigger deal than it needs to be... Just go, do your workout and quit worrying about the one man who may be in the room (incidentally - don't you think HE would have WAY more reason to feel self-conscious??)... Relax. Why would we, as women, want to resort to the same kind of ignorant, exclusionary tactics that men used for centuries to keep us out of "their world"?

I can appreciate your feeling uneasy - try for a moment to look at it from another point of view...

Hugs, health and good wishes to you...

[ Next Thread | Previous Thread | Next Message | Previous Message ]

Replies:

[ Contact Forum Admin ]

Forum timezone: GMT-5
VF Version: 3.00b, ConfDB:
Before posting please read our privacy policy.
VoyForums(tm) is a Free Service from Voyager Info-Systems.
Copyright © 1998-2019 Voyager Info-Systems. All Rights Reserved.