VoyForums
[ Show ]
Support VoyForums
[ Shrink ]
VoyForums Announcement: Programming and providing support for this service has been a labor of love since 1997. We are one of the few services online who values our users' privacy, and have never sold your information. We have even fought hard to defend your privacy in legal cases; however, we've done it with almost no financial support -- paying out of pocket to continue providing the service. Due to the issues imposed on us by advertisers, we also stopped hosting most ads on the forums many years ago. We hope you appreciate our efforts.

Show your support by donating any amount. (Note: We are still technically a for-profit company, so your contribution is not tax-deductible.) PayPal Acct: Feedback:

Donate to VoyForums (PayPal):

23/07/03 14:51:33Login ] [ Contact Forum Admin ] [ Main index ] [ Post a new message ] [ Search | Check update time | Archives: 123456[7]89 ]
Subject: Limescale on propshaft

Author:
nick
[ Next Thread | Previous Thread | Next Message | Previous Message ]
Date Posted: 18/03/04 19:38:02

I'm sure all you good people use your boats far more than I do so never have this problem but it was a surprise to me.

Last winter I had a vibration on the shaft which I took to mean I needed a new cutlass bearing.

However I was chatting to a Bukh service agent about it who is also a member of the yacht club (I was going to scrounge his cutlass bearing removing kit for taking them out without removing the shaft) and he told me it was limescale.

I expressed surprise but took the shaft out anyway to have a look. As he said, there was a build up of lime on the shaft.

Now this winter I was showing someone round the boat and he asked me to put her in gear. A God awful noise ensued and my prospective purchaser went pale.

I said Oh I know what that is, it's limescale.

I'm not sure he believed me but I know that noise, when she comes out it will be easily fixed.

My real question though is why do I get limescale? The boat has been in the marina for 7 months now and that's the first time I've turned the prop (you can see why I'm selling now) but is that all it takes?

I know you get limescale round the miniscus of the water in a toilet if you don't disturb it, but this is in a cutlass bearing underwater.

Any chemists out there?

[ Next Thread | Previous Thread | Next Message | Previous Message ]

Replies:
Subject Author Date
Re: Limescale on propshaftFrank Marsden19/03/04 10:06:21
Re: Limescale on propshaftjohn templar20/03/04 20:38:05
Re: Limescale on propshaftJohn Templar20/03/04 20:51:18

Post a message:
This forum requires an account to post.
[ Create Account ]
[ Login ]
[ Contact Forum Admin ]

Forum timezone: GMT+1
VF Version: 3.00b, ConfDB:
Before posting please read our privacy policy.
VoyForums(tm) is a Free Service from Voyager Info-Systems.
Copyright © 1998-2019 Voyager Info-Systems. All Rights Reserved.