VoyForums
[ Show ]
Support VoyForums
[ Shrink ]
VoyForums Announcement: Programming and providing support for this service has been a labor of love since 1997. We are one of the few services online who values our users' privacy, and have never sold your information. We have even fought hard to defend your privacy in legal cases; however, we've done it with almost no financial support -- paying out of pocket to continue providing the service. Due to the issues imposed on us by advertisers, we also stopped hosting most ads on the forums many years ago. We hope you appreciate our efforts.

Show your support by donating any amount. (Note: We are still technically a for-profit company, so your contribution is not tax-deductible.) PayPal Acct: Feedback:

Donate to VoyForums (PayPal):

Login ] [ Contact Forum Admin ] [ Main index ] [ Post a new message ] [ Search | Check update time | Archives: 1234 ]

[ Next Thread | Previous Thread | Next Message | Previous Message ]

Date Posted: 05:44:09 10/09/13 Wed
Author: Alastair (happy)
Subject: New Set of Irons

Well received my new set, LW through to 3 iron all at 38" and have just spent my first lunchtime at the range. Existing irons are the original TM RAC LT from AW to 3 iron, standard loft and lie but 1" longer with a DG S300 shaft. I play off a 10 handicap.

Short Verdict - the new clubs are straight in the bag no hesitation

Longer Verdict - the new set at 38" mean they are all the same length as my current 7 iron, same loft and 1 degree more upright in the lie. So I started with the 7 iron and hit it side by side with my current one. I found them both as easy to hit as each other and the ball flights and distances were almost identical.

I then worked through the set from GW to 3 iron hitting them all off the mat except the 5/4/3 which I hit a mixture off mat and tee. No duffs whatsoever and the worst shots would have been a bit chunky but still well in play. I found a tendency to turn over the long irons a bit but slowing/smoothing the swing sorted that. On good strikes the distances seemed perfectly acceptable and I was landing in the same parts of the range as I would normally expect. Poor connections with the longer irons dropped distance as you'd expect but definitely stayed straighter.

I found I was able to move the ball both ways from 7 iron down but the more lofted clubs didn't want to move. But that's really just range messing about I would normally aim to hit straight to fade.

I think the lofted irons will take the most getting used to. They were all easy to hit, and had expected distance progression, with full swings. But I found knock down shots a bit trickier. However, knowing me, I'll probably end up favouring one club for bunkers and shots needing the ball in the air quickly...should be the LW. Then all other shots I'll probably use the GW and grip down a bit. I had good success hitting the 50 yard basket at the range with this club choked down.

Negatives - assuming that longevity is as expected then my only quibble would be the grips. I'll probably wear them out but I doubt I'll replace them with similar when the time comes.

Conclusion - a few years ago I tried to build my own set with poor results. Having now tried the real deal I can see just how rubbish my own efforts were. I would highly recommend these to anyone and I don't think I'll be back to varied length irons again. Though I do see a move from long irons to hybrid/fairway some day

[ Next Thread | Previous Thread | Next Message | Previous Message ]

Login ] Create Account Not required to post.
Post a public reply to this message | Go post a new public message
Note: This forum is moderated -- new posts are not visible until approved.
* HTML allowed in marked fields.
Message subject (required):

Name (required):

Expression (Optional mood/title along with your name) Examples: (happy, sad, The Joyful, etc.) help)

E-mail address (required):

* Type your message here:

Note: This forum is moderated -- new posts are not visible until approved.

Notice: Copies of your message may remain on this and other systems on internet. Please be respectful.

[ Contact Forum Admin ]

Forum timezone: GMT-8
VF Version: 3.00b, ConfDB:
Before posting please read our privacy policy.
VoyForums(tm) is a Free Service from Voyager Info-Systems.
Copyright © 1998-2019 Voyager Info-Systems. All Rights Reserved.