VoyForums
[ Show ]
Support VoyForums
[ Shrink ]
VoyForums Announcement: Programming and providing support for this service has been a labor of love since 1997. We are one of the few services online who values our users' privacy, and have never sold your information. We have even fought hard to defend your privacy in legal cases; however, we've done it with almost no financial support -- paying out of pocket to continue providing the service. Due to the issues imposed on us by advertisers, we also stopped hosting most ads on the forums many years ago. We hope you appreciate our efforts.

Show your support by donating any amount. (Note: We are still technically a for-profit company, so your contribution is not tax-deductible.) PayPal Acct: Feedback:

Donate to VoyForums (PayPal):

Login ] [ Contact Forum Admin ] [ Main index ] [ Post a new message ] [ Search | Check update time | Archives: 1234 ]

[ Next Thread | Previous Thread | Next Message | Previous Message ]

Date Posted: 09:11:39 06/15/15 Mon
Author: Mike K
Subject: Driver/fairway woods

I have done quite well acclimating to the pro-line irons, they are great clubs. Upright posture, ball center of stance, ball close to the feet, neutral grip, left arm straight, etc. With the woods I am not able to mitigate a terrible slice using the same approach. If I use a very strong grip like with my conventional woods, I might hit a straight ball every so often, but the distance is very short, barely more than my 4 iron.

I have gone through the playabiltiy tips and archives and a lot of good info helped me do quite well with the irons but I have not figured out the woods.

Any new insights would be appreciated.

[ Next Thread | Previous Thread | Next Message | Previous Message ]

Replies:

[> Re: Driver/fairway woods -- James, 18:19:41 06/16/15 Tue

The problem you are having is exactly the same thing I experienced initially. Per the Playability Tips that 1 Iron Golf sends out, you have to eliminate any lateral sway in your swing - to the right on the backswing and to the left on the downswing. Your problem is that you are swaying to the left in front of the ball on your downswing which closes the clubface and causes you to hit short. Also, do not use a strong grip as this also closes the clubface through impact.

Be sure to stay behind the ball at impact and use a neutral grip. You will see a dramatic difference in your fairway wood play.

[ Post a Reply to This Message ]
[ Edit | View ]

[> [> Re: Driver/fairway woods -- Mike K, 20:23:05 06/16/15 Tue

Thank you, I will focus on that.

[ Edit | View ]

[> Re: Driver/fairway woods -- Roy Reed (R2), 22:06:50 06/17/15 Wed

Mike: Just another tip that may help you get rid of the slice: try moving the ball a little more forward in your stance when you're using the fairway woods. Several of my students have experienced the same "slicing" problem you mention, and if you play the ball slightly forward of where you've been playing it, this action will allow the club face a little more time to "square-up" before impact. Most slices are caused by an open club face at impact and/or casting the club (a "over-the-top", "outside-to inside" swing) which puts a lot of side-spin on the ball. If you move the ball too far forward, you will end up hitting a lot of "pulls" so I suggest making the adjustment in small increments. Hit 'em straight! r2

[ Edit | View ]

[> [> Re: Driver/fairway woods -- Mike K, 19:35:10 06/18/15 Thu

Thank you Roy I will try that at the range tomorrow.

[ Edit | View ]

[> [> [> Re: Driver/fairway woods -- Roy Reed (R2), 22:00:47 06/21/15 Sun

Mike: One more cause of your slice could be your alignment. I have found that lots of slices are really the result of improper alignment at set-up. Next time you go to the range and start hitting slices, keep your feet planted where they ended up at the end of your swing and lay your club on the ground touching your toes. Then stand behind the club and see where it is pointing. There is a good chance it is pointing very near where the ball ended up. Many golfers "think" they are aligned correctly but they tend to re-grip the club or shift their feet during initial set-up. The ball generally goes where you are really aligned, not where you "think" your swing path is. Hope this helps a little. Take care and hit 'em straight! R2

[ Edit | View ]

[> [> [> [> Re: Driver/fairway woods -- Mike K, 12:45:31 06/22/15 Mon

Your first tip helped a lot. I hit a large bucket of balls as I moved the ball forward in my stance until I felt comfortable ( it was only an inch or two). I started to get the hang of it and the ball flight was straight and some started to fly much longer as well. Thank you for your posts.

[ Edit | View ]

[> [> [> [> Re: Driver/fairway woods -- Alan (Hoosier Hayseed), 10:45:51 07/24/15 Fri

Your tip is well intentioned, and I have done the very same thing many times; however, you don't always slice whenever you hit the ball to the right - as you pointed out, you were simply aimed that way.
Of course, when you do hit a slice, (which I did for 24 years) plus you are aimed to the right, it only makes it worse, and you end up even deeper into the woods.

[ Edit | View ]

[> Re: Driver/fairway woods -- Jimmy R (Riley), 16:53:46 07/09/15 Thu

Mike,
I've only had my Pro-Line clubs a few weeks but the more I hit them the more I love these clubs. Even though the clubs are great, I still had a bad slice with the longer irons and Driver which I'm sure was partly due to swinging too hard. That said, I have all but cured my slice by following this simple video. Let me know if it helps you.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ABj6x7J--uk

[ Edit | View ]

[> [> Re: Driver/fairway woods -- Mike K, 18:09:19 07/10/15 Fri

Could not access via the url. Typed in the code-Is that Martin's video?

[ Edit | View ]

[> [> [> Re: Driver/fairway woods -- Jimmy Riley, 08:30:22 07/11/15 Sat

That is the Martin Chuck video dealing with clubface address. I'm not much on computers but I was able to copy and paste the link and get it to work. This video really opened my eyes and helped me tremendously with my slice.

If it wasn't 100 degrees and humid outside I'd be working those clubs today.

Good Luck!

[ Edit | View ]

[> Re: Driver/fairway woods -- Steve (Fine), 07:38:43 07/12/15 Sun

Mike, I also had slicing problems with my driver/fairway woods. I saw a video that showed me that my hands were too far back when addressing a ball in the middle of my stance. Once I did a forward press aligning the butt end of my handle next to my left knee, it opened up the clubface but was dead on at impact!! I use white tees to make sure that I am marking my clubs and hitting in the middle of the sweet spot which should be slightly left and above center line on your driver!!
Steve

[ Edit | View ]

[> Re: Driver/fairway woods -- Mike K, 08:40:34 07/13/15 Mon

Thank you all for the excellent suggestions. I will be working on them this week at the range.

[ Edit | View ]

[> Re: Driver/fairway woods -- Mike K, 07:55:15 07/19/15 Sun

I worked on setup and distance from the ball. I played the ball slight left of center (right hander) and ended up closing the face to about 11 o'clock. The slice is gone and once my swing cleans up and if I start drawing too much or pulling left, I will progressively reopen the club face.

Based on the heaviness of the club and I believe stiffness of the shaft, I will have to increase clubhead speed in order to get better yardage which I think will occur once I gain more confidence in the club.

[ Edit | View ]

[> [> Re: Driver/fairway woods -- Steve (Fine), 07:46:42 07/21/15 Tue

Mike, that is exactly what happened to me. The real issue I believe is the length of the woods/driver versus the irons. I hit all irons identical which is the way it should be, but my driver has to be hit differently....I practice now by hitting a driver, then an iron, then a driver, wood, iron ect. so that I make an effort to adjust swing plane accordingly. I recommend hitting off colored tees so that you can verify that you are hitting each club in the center of the clubface....works GREAT!!

[ Edit | View ]

Login ] Create Account Not required to post.
Post a public reply to this message | Go post a new public message
Note: This forum is moderated -- new posts are not visible until approved.
* HTML allowed in marked fields.
Message subject (required):

Name (required):

Expression (Optional mood/title along with your name) Examples: (happy, sad, The Joyful, etc.) help)

E-mail address (required):

* Type your message here:

Note: This forum is moderated -- new posts are not visible until approved.

Notice: Copies of your message may remain on this and other systems on internet. Please be respectful.

[ Contact Forum Admin ]

Forum timezone: GMT-8
VF Version: 3.00b, ConfDB:
Before posting please read our privacy policy.
VoyForums(tm) is a Free Service from Voyager Info-Systems.
Copyright © 1998-2019 Voyager Info-Systems. All Rights Reserved.