VoyForums
[ Show ]
Support VoyForums
[ Shrink ]
VoyForums Announcement: Programming and providing support for this service has been a labor of love since 1997. We are one of the few services online who values our users' privacy, and have never sold your information. We have even fought hard to defend your privacy in legal cases; however, we've done it with almost no financial support -- paying out of pocket to continue providing the service. Due to the issues imposed on us by advertisers, we also stopped hosting most ads on the forums many years ago. We hope you appreciate our efforts.

Show your support by donating any amount. (Note: We are still technically a for-profit company, so your contribution is not tax-deductible.) PayPal Acct: Feedback:

Donate to VoyForums (PayPal):

Login ] [ Contact Forum Admin ] [ Main index ] [ Post a new message ] [ Search | Check update time | Archives: 1 ]

[ Next Thread | Previous Thread | Next Message | Previous Message ]

Date Posted: 13:26:48 07/17/08 Thu
Author: Dina (The Dancing Gypsy)
Subject: Re: "Think about it !"
In reply to: Mike 's message, "Re: "Think about it !"" on 16:17:27 07/15/08 Tue

I will concur with what Mike has said here. Essentially, a bad show will not attract a good crowd, as word will get around both in the Ren community and in general. Yes, the audience most faire producers are aiming for (and this comes from experience) is the general populace, particularly families with kids who will spend all that much more money per person. Basically, the management of a big show (meaning multiple thousands of customers each weekend) will not care if a handful of Rennies boycotts and/or badmouths it. Been going on for years at a number of places, and it hasn't shut anybody down. Faires shut down because they go over budget, plain and simple. If you can't pay the rent you can't open the doors.

I will say this: I have personally boycotted a faire or two in my time, mostly having to do with bad or unfair business practices. I have even made those reasons known to people who ask "why aren't you dancing at such-and-such faire this year"? But I'm not going to go organize a group to boycott or protest at this or that faire in an attempt to shut it down. That is not only a waste of time but creates a larger problem within the community of those who feel they must "choose sides" instead of making their living or enjoying their free time the way they like. Faire is a social thing, a commercial venture, and a way of life for many of us... so please folks, don't poop where you eat so to speak. We are all at the same table here.

If you're unhappy with the way things are being done at a certain faire, stop going. Tell your friends why. Complain to the faire management in writing as Mike suggested ~ believe me a businessperson will sit up and take notice of something that a patron has bothered to sit down and write. If you are a disgruntled Rennie and/or employee of said faire, then do the economy a favor and start up your own faire! We could certainly use the business nowadays. And if you end up doing well, then as they say, living well is the best revenge.

Me, I decided after all these years of being a performer, producer, and promoter of faires that it was time to start my own business. Not a faire, but a shop and studio that will offer a lot of what faire offers, year-round and indoors. You can bet that I will be hosting events, selling wares, and teaching classes that dancers and drummers look for at SCA and Medieval events. Smaller scale but you get the idea: sustainable. Thus, I get to do things exactly my own way, and I also know who to complain to if things are not going well. So I am putting my money where my mouth is!

(No comment on that one please.)

Anyhow, there's my $.02, and if you want to see what I'm doing about the current no-faire problem in New England, come see me at The Dancing Gypsy:

You KNEW I'd get some shameless self-promotion in there, didn't you???

:D

>Ah, the precarious topic of ren faire finances. So
>much to chew on.
>
>I have to wonder if the boycotters have taken any
>steps to inform the faire in question of their
>actions? Or are they protesting in a vacuum? Most
>faires aren't even going to notice if a small group
>isn't there -- you can't miss something if you don't
>know it's missing -- but if the boycotters, say, wrote
>a well-crafted letter not only informing the
>management of their actions, but stating that they
>plan to take their money elsewhere and perhaps
>convince their friends to do the same? That will get
>attention, and perhaps even yield results.
>
>I also hope the boycotters are considering the alleged
>offense and who it happened to. Every faire has its
>detractors, and I've learned that for every legitimate
>gripe, there's someone who's just bemoaning the fact
>something simply didn't go their way, so they've
>chosen to lash out and take what amounts to petty
>revenge. A true, grievous offense should be redressed,
>but unprofessional and petty whining? Not so much.
>
>All that said, I have to agree with Julie on every
>point she made, but particularly about the effects of
>poor management. A badly run faire will eventually die
>out as patrons -- rennie and mundane alike -- get hip
>to the fact the show as a total package sucks and they
>take their money elsewhere. Badly run faires drive
>away their actors, performers, vendors, etc., leaving
>patrons with whoever and whatever is left...and
>considering how quickly word of mouth spreads among
>and between those communities, that impact would
>register almost instantly.
>

[ Next Thread | Previous Thread | Next Message | Previous Message ]

Replies:

[> [> [> Re: "Think about it !" -- Mongo, 22:46:00 07/18/08 Fri

>Anyhow, there's my $.02, and if you want to see what
>I'm doing about the current no-faire problem in New
>England, come see me at The Dancing Gypsy:
>
>
>You KNEW I'd get some shameless self-promotion in
>there, didn't you???

There is something wrong with your coding in your shameless promotion. I was about to ask for a link when it showed up in the quoted text of the reply. It should look like: (less than) a href="the website you want to link including the quotes" (greater than) Text you want people to see (less than)/a(greater than)

It should look something like this

[ Post a Reply to This Message ]
[ Edit | View ]

[> [> [> [> Re: "Think about it !" -- Mongo, 22:49:42 07/18/08 Fri

figures I would mess it up too... the website should include "http://"

[ Edit | View ]

[> [> [> Re: "Think about it !" -- Mongo, 22:47:30 07/18/08 Fri

>Anyhow, there's my $.02, and if you want to see what
>I'm doing about the current no-faire problem in New
>England, come see me at The Dancing Gypsy:
>
>
>You KNEW I'd get some shameless self-promotion in
>there, didn't you???

There is something wrong with your coding in your shameless promotion. I was about to ask for a link when it showed up in the quoted text of the reply. It should look like: (less than) a href="the website you want to link including the quotes" (greater than) Text you want people to see (less than)/a(greater than)

It should look something like this

[ Edit | View ]

[> [> [> [> Re: "Think about it !" -- Dina (The Dancing Gypsy), 10:51:32 07/19/08 Sat

Thank you for clarifying my shameless plug! Hope this works when I post it... anyhow, for us technically deficient types the URL is: geocities dot com slash the dancing dot gypsy.

Whew.

>>Anyhow, there's my $.02, and if you want to see what
>>I'm doing about the current no-faire problem in New
>>England, come see me at The Dancing Gypsy:
>>
>>
>>You KNEW I'd get some shameless self-promotion in
>>there, didn't you???
>
>There is something wrong with your coding in your
>shameless promotion. I was about to ask for a link
>when it showed up in the quoted text of the reply. It
>should look like: (less than) a href="the website you
>want to link including the quotes" (greater than) Text
>you want people to see (less than)/a(greater than)
>
> >href="http://www.geocities.com/thedancing.gypsy">See The Dancing Gypsy Here

[ Edit | View ]

[> [> [> [> [> zerJDrNvbCsPLBKL -- dqbcvy (hmkTCwNMkkhKJFKa), 11:47:26 12/26/08 Fri

lG6Byy adztgbwrzusm, [url=http://isnwdvozvuuc.com/]isnwdvozvuuc[/url], [link=http://kkrbzyjoutdh.com/]kkrbzyjoutdh[/link], http://glzqlnoeefju.com/

[ Edit | View ]

Post a message:
This forum requires an account to post.
[ Create Account ]
[ Login ]
[ Contact Forum Admin ]

Forum timezone: GMT-5
VF Version: 3.00b, ConfDB:
Before posting please read our privacy policy.
VoyForums(tm) is a Free Service from Voyager Info-Systems.
Copyright © 1998-2019 Voyager Info-Systems. All Rights Reserved.