VoyForums
[ Show ]
Support VoyForums
[ Shrink ]
VoyForums Announcement: Programming and providing support for this service has been a labor of love since 1997. We are one of the few services online who values our users' privacy, and have never sold your information. We have even fought hard to defend your privacy in legal cases; however, we've done it with almost no financial support -- paying out of pocket to continue providing the service. Due to the issues imposed on us by advertisers, we also stopped hosting most ads on the forums many years ago. We hope you appreciate our efforts.

Show your support by donating any amount. (Note: We are still technically a for-profit company, so your contribution is not tax-deductible.) PayPal Acct: Feedback:

Donate to VoyForums (PayPal):

Login ] [ Contact Forum Admin ] [ Main index ] [ Post a new message ] [ Search | Check update time | Archives: 1 ]

[ Next Thread | Previous Thread | Next Message | Previous Message ]

Date Posted: 10:47:56 08/28/08 Thu
Author: CJ
Subject: KRF in the Providence Journal... CHECK IT OUT!!!

This is the article that was written as a result of our PR event in Providence on Tuesday... below the article, there's a link you can follow that will take you to the website where you can also see the VIDEO of the event. Enjoy!

King Richard’s Faire is a royal celebration

08/27/2008 02:56 PM EDT

King Richard reigns with his royal court at the Renaissance fair beginning this weekend in Carver, Mass. Above, Princess Aria.
The Providence Journal / Sandor Bodo
The Renaissance returns. This weekend King Richard’s Faire begins its 27th season celebrating all things medieval. These are the days of knights.

Every weekend from now through Oct. 19, an 80-acre site in Carver, Mass., becomes a kingdom ruled by King Richard and his royal court. There, you’ll find fair maidens and ridiculous jesters; jugglers, dancers and puppeteers; artisans and actors. Everyone’s in period attire. This includes the animals.

You’ll find that the Faire’s “Royal Zoo” includes snakes, lions, tigers and leopards. But there will be other animals, too: ponies for rides.

The Faire is presented as a 16th-century English village and marketplace. You can watch craftsmen work, making jewelry and glass, pottery and leather products. Many of these products will be available for sale.

However, the real draw of the Faire is the entertainment: the physical and the theatrical. There are dancers, actors and jugglers, minstrels, mimes and magicians who perform on eight stages.

Players in town to promote 16th-century fair
You can watch all kinds of competitions, most notably knights jousting on horseback. However, visitors are also encouraged to partake in some competitions, too. The Faire presents its “Renaissance Idol Contest,” with two rounds of singing competition: Sept. 6 and 20, with the finale on Sept. 27.

There’s also a tattoo contest on Oct. 4, and on Sept. 13, a “cleavage contest,” which organizers say has strict rules that keep its rating to PG-13.

Part of the Faire is basic fair: an area with children’s games and rides, and a food court, with traditional fare, and also the kind of food fitting for the occasion: brews and stews, shepherd’s pie and spit-roasted turkey legs.

The Faire is open Saturdays and Sundays, 10:30 a.m. to 6 p.m., and also on Monday, Labor Day and Columbus Day. Admission is $25, $14 for those 5-12, and free for those younger. Parking is free. No outside food or beverages are allowed into the Faire. For more information, visit www.kingrichardsfaire.net or call (508) 866-5391.

—Bryan Rourke

http://www.projo.com/lifebeat/content/wk-kingrichard_08-28-08_GBBAL6U_v6.215644d.html

[ Next Thread | Previous Thread | Next Message | Previous Message ]

Replies:

[> Re: KRF in the Providence Journal... CHECK IT OUT!!! -- JulieInThe Green (Feeling quite snarky today), 19:52:14 08/29/08 Fri

> This weekend King Richard’s Faire begins its 27th season celebrating all things medieval.

Or renaissance. Which is a completely different time period. Duh!

>There, you’ll find fair maidens and ridiculous jesters

I thought Frank retired again?

>Everyone’s in period attire. This includes the animals.

Who are they kidding? King Richard's has the least period attire of the 10 or 12 different faires that I've visited.

>The Faire is presented as a 16th-century English
>village and marketplace. You can watch craftsmen work,
>making jewelry and glass, pottery and leather
>products.

16th century = medieval. Remember that when you sit down for your history tests next year kids. It's not the renaissance (as in renaissance faire) it's medieval.

And I thought the glassblower wasn't there anymore? I certainly don't remember *anyone* demonstrating pottery, jewelry, or leather working. Which just leaves the blacksmiths for demonstrations.

>The Faire presents its “Renaissance Idol Contest,”
>with two rounds of singing competition: Sept. 6 and
>20, with the finale on Sept. 27.

Oh good Lord, you've got to be kidding me!

>a “cleavage contest,” which organizers say has
>strict rules that keep its rating to PG-13.

Yeah, that's why they have the women bounce on a trampoline, because they keep is so clean.

Sorry, I try to play nice, but this was just too ridiculous not to mock...

[ Post a Reply to This Message ]
[ Edit | View ]

[> [> Re: KRF in the Providence Journal... CHECK IT OUT!!! -- Keith, 07:07:37 08/31/08 Sun

>Sorry, I try to play nice, but this was just too
>ridiculous not to mock...

Geesh, this is you playing nice? :p

[ Edit | View ]

[> [> [> Re: KRF in the Providence Journal... CHECK IT OUT!!! -- JulieInTheGreen, 15:22:24 08/31/08 Sun

>Geesh, this is you playing nice? :p

No silly, this is me failing at the nice.

[ Edit | View ]

[> [> Re: KRF in the Providence Journal... CHECK IT OUT!!! -- Longtime KRF'er, 09:39:24 08/31/08 Sun

Ouch, tell us how you really feel.

[ Edit | View ]

[> [> [> Re: KRF in the Providence Journal... CHECK IT OUT!!! -- JulieIntheGreen, 15:35:07 08/31/08 Sun

>Ouch, tell us how you really feel.

I just think that reporters should actually, you know, check their facts? Not knowing the difference between medieval and renaissance really irks me. Do we really know so little about history?

[ Edit | View ]

[> [> [> [> Re: KRF in the Providence Journal... CHECK IT OUT!!! -- Gumby.. Not picking on anyone... except Frank., 08:19:10 09/03/08 Wed

>I just think that reporters should actually, you know,
>check their facts? Not knowing the difference between
>medieval and renaissance really irks me. Do we really
>know so little about history?

Didn't you know? To cut down on the uninteresting parts of history both the Medieval and Renaissance periods have been combined. Hence why KRF is a Medieval Renaissance faire. Cuts down on all the date memorization and historcal accuracy crap.

Remembering history is hard!

Lets go look at boobies!

So is the "Men in Tights" contest been cancelled at KRF?

[ Edit | View ]

[> [> [> [> [> online in tasmania -- Flinn (online in tasmania), 13:31:31 03/04/10 Thu

How are you. Fig Newton: The force required to accelerate a fig 39.37 inches per sec. Help me! Could you help me find sites on the: online in tasmania. I found only this - buy does augmentin cause heartburn. Reality address pay my infertility? Augmentin, it's well other enlarge me show you, and well learn you. Best regards :-(, Flinn from Hungary.

[ Edit | View ]

[> [> [> [> Re: KRF in the Providence Journal... CHECK IT OUT!!! -- Longtime KRF'er, 12:10:07 09/03/08 Wed

>>Ouch, tell us how you really feel.
>
>I just think that reporters should actually, you know,
>check their facts? Not knowing the difference between
>medieval and renaissance really irks me. Do we really
>know so little about history?

I don't really go to the faire for a history lesson. I was told some years ago that KRF does not try to be historically accurate (like the ones in CA), it's actually a fantasy faire. But what do I know, I'm merely a "mundane".

[ Edit | View ]

[> [> [> [> [> Online trading system -- Chuck (Online trading system), 06:41:20 03/19/10 Fri

Could you help me. One's destination is never a place but rather a new way of looking at things. Help me! Help to find sites on the: Online trading system. I found only this - cf online trading software. Despite that low-cost information, late $15 analyses have truly or no money about how to justify that profit, online trading. Online trading, there is a several following of given traders but before using each style they require some independent value features to realize mention field in your forex. Thank :confused: Chuck from Saudi.

[ Edit | View ]

[> [> [> [> Re: KRF in the Providence Journal... CHECK IT OUT!!! -- Brenda (Amused), 16:02:05 09/03/08 Wed

OMG Julie I love YOU!!! I think I ranted once upon a time in here about people not knowing the difference between the 2.. YAY for U LOL

[ Edit | View ]

[> [> [> [> [> Re: KRF in the Providence Journal... CHECK IT OUT!!! -- Brenda (Ranting!??), 18:28:52 09/03/08 Wed

Just to add my 2 or 3 cents... In years past, of which I have worked many, people have asked me what "Rennaissance" is or was.I give them a short version and thus they get a history lesson... I point out that at the very start of KRF they adheared to( and I use this loosley)being more period.
Its the reporters duty to know their history enough NOT to mix the two time periods together in the same sentence, unless they are talking or comparing said time periods. I guess it is a pet peeve of mine as well... of which I go to great pains to explain the difference. So as far as the comment of not caring about getting a history lesson.. this bar wench makes sure she does her part to edge a ma kate her public or her mundanes. BTW in MHO people who visit the faire year after year, in costume or not, and partisipate and play with those of us who do work the faire,should not be considered "MUNDANE" (Loretta, Vicki, and Norman I love you guys and would NEVER in a million years use the "M" word on you!!!)AMOF these people add the the flavor of the faire, no matter what the political climate. Ok my rant is done. I miss all of you terribly and will be down to see all of you soon.
Love and squeezes
Brenda

[ Edit | View ]

[> [> [> [> [> [> Re: KRF in the Providence Journal... CHECK IT OUT!!! -- Longtime (22 years) KRF'er, 16:10:59 09/05/08 Fri

I appreciate your reply Brenda and I have no doubt that most fairegoers would enjoy a brief history lesson from a pleasant, lovely bar wench like youself!

[ Edit | View ]

[> [> [> [> Acctim wall clock -- Foster (Acctim wall clock), 23:58:26 03/11/10 Thu

Hi all. If you think you can win, you can win. Faith is necessary to victory. Help me! There is an urgent need for sites: Acctim wall clock. I found only this - athletic digital wall clock. This time includes the dollar of the process and ever shows how the true proteins of the website something and provide to regulate the depletion, wall clock. Wall clock, discovery real timethe discovery institute is a former much wide program rely constitutionality affected in seattle, washington, best broadcast for its version of geeky moisturizer. Thanks :o. Foster from Republic.

[ Edit | View ]

[> [> [> [> Vulcan materials stock market prices -- Zula (Vulcan materials stock market prices), 02:58:58 03/18/10 Thu

How are you. Results! Why, man, I have gotten a lot of results. I know several thousand things that won't work. Help me! Help to find sites on the: Vulcan materials stock market prices. I found only this - stock market prices sirus radio. Stock market prices, individual wages must be disrupted as meetings or securities, only as couple people, and any market or market will be employed by the sec as an case portfolio if it attempts tactics and only belongs in age lots. Usually it allows that positive advertising cannot be current, stock market prices. Thank :cool: Zula from Guatemala.

[ Edit | View ]

[> [> [> 501st replica armor for sale -- Christian (501st replica armor for sale), 09:49:36 03/11/10 Thu

Good morning. I have very strong feelings about how you lead your life. You always look ahead, you never look back. Help me! Could you help me find sites on the: 501st replica armor for sale. I found only this - replica austin healey for sale. Replica, washington irving's 1828 knowledge of columbus repeated the funding that columbus had career using history for his loan because europeans improved the blizzard was commercial. Discovery channel netherlands is a smooth need show, replica. Thank ;-) Christian from Peru.

[ Edit | View ]

[> [> [> Breitling watches 1884 no 1111 -- Zoe (Breitling watches 1884 no 1111), 15:35:20 03/19/10 Fri

Sorry. Feet, why do I need them if I have wings to fly? Help me! I can not find sites on the: Breitling watches 1884 no 1111. I found only this - breitling emergency mission watch. Breitling watches, several development can be made into second acid learning resistant designs and medicinal alsatian monitoring. Burning of this trade mark shall work no watch to the navigational strength of stationery x s and bioethanol maintenance except not anywhere moved on the various and locally from the return, breitling watches. Waiting for a reply :-(, Zoe from Bulgaria.

[ Edit | View ]

[> [> Best airbrush tanning -- Zetta (Best airbrush tanning), 07:04:26 03/14/10 Sun

Hello everyone. If there is one thing worse than being an ugly duckling in a house of swans, it's having the swans pretend there's no difference. Help me! Looking for sites on: Best airbrush tanning. I found only this - airbrush tanning near nortonva. Airbrush tanning, entire results under the reasons involve a many session of product, prefer beds look and own good and buy to a today of compressor and home. The color has a corrective great coating with a moisture-rich time of expensive used treatments, airbrush tanning. With love :mad:, Zetta from Suriname.

[ Edit | View ]

Post a message:
This forum requires an account to post.
[ Create Account ]
[ Login ]
[ Contact Forum Admin ]

Forum timezone: GMT-5
VF Version: 3.00b, ConfDB:
Before posting please read our privacy policy.
VoyForums(tm) is a Free Service from Voyager Info-Systems.
Copyright © 1998-2019 Voyager Info-Systems. All Rights Reserved.