VoyForums

12/10/18 01:15:42Login ] [ Contact Forum Admin ] [ Main index ] [ Post a new message ] [ Search | Check update time | Archives: 1 ]

[ Next Thread | Previous Thread | Next Message | Previous Message ]

Date Posted: 01/21/18 22:34:52
Author: Jeff Larsen
Subject: Re: Box corners
In reply to: David Janowitz 's message, "Box corners" on 01/17/18 10:31:28

>I have been asked to make some display boxes, of wood
>with glass sides and top. I plan to use 1x1 stock,
>grooved for the glass inserts. If I cut each corner
>in a 3 way miter,(kind of like a pyramid,) can that
>just be glued, or would it require additional support
>like dowels?

I was going to say that it will need much more than a miter joint, or even dowels. But then I realized that you might not be talking about a display case 4' high and 8' long. So how strong the joint needs to be depends on the size of the box and the weight of the glass. I think a three way miter in 1" square material will be unacceptably weak for anything larger than about a 6" cube using 1/8" glass. I'm not sure that dowels will help very much, especially in a three way joint, because I'm not sure they will prevent racking enough in one direction or the other to break the joint. I would suggest a variation in a three way bridle joint or a three way version of a box joint, and I'm not sure I would trust that joint in one inch material for anything over 12" to 18" on a side and 1/8" glass. You could probably make those kind of joints on a table saw more easily than you can make a three way miter. It may depend on how much stiffness you can get out of the bottom. Also depends on how much they will be moved around. And I'm not claiming to know for sure or have any direct experience in this kind of issue. Feel free to call me at (713) 894-1633 if you want any more unsubstantiated opinions, if I have misunderstood, or if I am not making myself clear.

[ Next Thread | Previous Thread | Next Message | Previous Message ]

Login ] Create Account Not required to post.
Post a public reply to this message | Go post a new public message
* HTML allowed in marked fields.
Message subject (required):

Name (required):

Expression (Optional mood/title along with your name) Examples: (happy, sad, The Joyful, etc.) help)

E-mail address (optional):

* Type your message here:

Notice: Copies of your message may remain on this and other systems on internet. Please be respectful.

[ Contact Forum Admin ]

Forum timezone: GMT-6
VF Version: 3.00b, ConfDB:
Before posting please read our privacy policy.
VoyForums(tm) is a Free Service from Voyager Info-Systems.
Copyright © 1998-2017 Voyager Info-Systems. All Rights Reserved.