VoyForums
1 CLICK GIVES FREE FOOD!
www.TheHungerSite.com
Protect Habitat with a Click!
www.TheRainforestSite.com
Non-profit ad served by VoyForums...

04/26/17 20:30:37VoyUser Login optional ] [ Contact Forum Admin ] [ Main index ] [ Post a new message ] [ Search | Check update time | Archives: 1 ]

[ Next Thread | Previous Thread | Next Message | Previous Message ]

Date Posted: 01/ 2/04 14:11:33
Author: Ken Davey
Subject: Log Tree Ring/Cross-Section Help

I just had a pine tree cut down from my backyard and I was able to keep two 4' long by 20" wide(diameter) logs.
This just happened two days ago, so they are still fresh and still have the bark on them.
What I would like to end up with is at least one clean looking, solid slice or cross-section finished (sanded/stained or clear coated) that I can mount on the wall to display the rings as a historical reference.
From counting the rings it seems to be about 60 years old or more.
While searching google, I discovered that the main problem I'll face is proper drying to avoid rot and cracking.
So, I'm looking for a nearby professional, I'm in Spring,TX, that for about $100-200 or so can cut the log into a few rings, dry them (either in a kiln or over time with chemicals) and then sand and finish one or two of the best ones for me to keep and mount.
I'm not in any hurry, although I'm sure the sooner I start the proper drying process the better, and I really don't want to have to wait a year or more if there's another method I can use to dry them safely.
Please respond to me directly at kendavey@houston.rr.com
Thanks a lot.

[ Next Thread | Previous Thread | Next Message | Previous Message ]

VoyUser Login ] Not required to post.
Post a public reply to this message | Go post a new public message
* HTML allowed in marked fields.
Message subject (required):

Name (required):

Expression (Optional mood/title along with your name) Examples: (happy, sad, The Joyful, etc.) help)

E-mail address (optional):

* Type your message here:

Notice: Copies of your message may remain on this and other systems on internet. Please be respectful.

[ Contact Forum Admin ]

Forum timezone: GMT-6
VF Version: 3.00b, ConfDB:
Before posting please read our privacy policy.
VoyForums(tm) is a Free Service from Voyager Info-Systems.
Copyright © 1998-2016 Voyager Info-Systems. All Rights Reserved.