VoyForums
GIVE FREE FOOD
www.TheHungerSite.com
-> Click Here <-
Fund Free Mammograms with a Click
www.TheBreastCancerSite.com
-> Click Here <-
Non-profit ad served by VoyForums...

09/23/17 07:59:04VoyUser Login optional ] [ Contact Forum Admin ] [ Main index ] [ Post a new message ] [ Search | Check update time | Archives: 1 ]

[ Next Thread | Previous Thread | Next Message | Previous Message ]

Date Posted: 05/26/04 16:20:55
Author: fabio pisoni
Subject: increase shellac finishing melting point

I follow a production line of colonial style furniture in south east asia. We use shellac finishing applied by brush. Unfortunately, upon arrival our customers find that wrapping and conditioning ( plastic bubble film, cardboard, oily paper, we tried them all!) often sticks to the surface of the pieces.
Initially we thought we didn't allow the shellac coats to dry long enough, but the problem persisted even on pieces that were in our stock for several months. After some investigations, we realized that the shellac actually softened /melted no matter how dry it was, due to the extremely high temperature inside the container (it can sometimes reach 80C).
Now, I wonder whether it's possible to increase the melting point of shellac by adding a percentage of some other product ( copal for instance, or else). I add, for example, carnauba wax to beeswax to increase the melting point of my wax. Would it be possible to do the same kind of thing with shellac? Thank you in advance for your kind reply.

[ Next Thread | Previous Thread | Next Message | Previous Message ]

Replies:

VoyUser Login ] Not required to post.
Post a public reply to this message | Go post a new public message
* HTML allowed in marked fields.
Message subject (required):

Name (required):

Expression (Optional mood/title along with your name) Examples: (happy, sad, The Joyful, etc.) help)

E-mail address (optional):

* Type your message here:

Notice: Copies of your message may remain on this and other systems on internet. Please be respectful.

[ Contact Forum Admin ]

Forum timezone: GMT-6
VF Version: 3.00b, ConfDB:
Before posting please read our privacy policy.
VoyForums(tm) is a Free Service from Voyager Info-Systems.
Copyright © 1998-2016 Voyager Info-Systems. All Rights Reserved.