VoyForums
GIVE FREE FOOD
www.TheHungerSite.com
-> Click Here <-
Fund Free Mammograms with a Click
www.TheBreastCancerSite.com
-> Click Here <-
Non-profit ad served by VoyForums...

07/24/17 01:42:22VoyUser Login optional ] [ Contact Forum Admin ] [ Main index ] [ Post a new message ] [ Search | Check update time | Archives: 1 ]

[ Next Thread | Previous Thread | Next Message | Previous Message ]

Date Posted: 05/29/04 08:43:08
Author: Todd Burch
Subject: Re: increase shellac finishing melting point
In reply to: Fabio Pisoni 's message, "Re: increase shellac finishing melting point" on 05/29/04 00:07:14

Fabio, I'm not sure what "NC Varnish" is. I typically hear "NC" as a abbreviation for Nitro-Cellulose, which means lacquer. If you are referring to "CV", or conversion varnish, yes I have head of that, and use it. It's awesome.

However, if you are going to spray anything over shellac, you should certainly use dewaxed shellac. Zinsser has a fairly new product out called "SealCoat" that is dewaxed shellac.

A CV that I use is ML Campbell's "Duravar". Duravar is a post-catalyzed lacquer (actually a cross-linking varnish) that is fast drying, very durable and very hard. After applying two coats, wait 30 minutes after the second coat and you can shrink/bubble wrap, package and place 400 lbs of weight on a piece.

Another resource you might try is the professional finishing forum at http://www.woodweb.com. A lot of real talented professional finishers there and it gets a whole lot better exposure than this forum.

And, the last resource I'll offer is Jeff Jewitt, a well known finisher and author of several book on finishing. He can be reached at http://www.homesteadfinishing.com. If you call HomeStead Finishing, he is likely to even answer the phone!

From a book in my personal library, "Understanding Wood Finishs" by Bob Flexner, he writes:

"Solvents, Acid, Alkali and Heat Resistance:

These four properties tend to go together. A finish easily damaged by solvents is also easily damaged by acids, alkalis and heat. Wax, shellac, lacquer and water base are all susceptible to solvent, acid, alkali and heat damage. Varnish and conversion finishes are very resistant to solvents, acids, alkalis and heat..."

In his book, he also states that a Polyurethane Varnish is the best heat resistant category of finishes.

Glad I was able to help a little.

Todd Burch
http://www.burchwoodusa.com

[ Next Thread | Previous Thread | Next Message | Previous Message ]

VoyUser Login ] Not required to post.
Post a public reply to this message | Go post a new public message
* HTML allowed in marked fields.
Message subject (required):

Name (required):

Expression (Optional mood/title along with your name) Examples: (happy, sad, The Joyful, etc.) help)

E-mail address (optional):

* Type your message here:

Notice: Copies of your message may remain on this and other systems on internet. Please be respectful.

[ Contact Forum Admin ]

Forum timezone: GMT-6
VF Version: 3.00b, ConfDB:
Before posting please read our privacy policy.
VoyForums(tm) is a Free Service from Voyager Info-Systems.
Copyright © 1998-2016 Voyager Info-Systems. All Rights Reserved.