VoyForums

Login ] [ Contact Forum Admin ] [ Main index ] [ Post a new message ] [ Search | Check update time | Archives: [1]2345678910 ]
Subject: Re: John Fogerty biography, Buddy

Author:
Dale (Hi Casey)
[ Next Thread | Previous Thread | Next Message | Previous Message ]
Date Posted: Sun January 10, 2016 16:47:11
In reply to: Casey 's message, "Re: John Fogerty biography, Buddy" on Wed January 06, 2016 23:15:30

Hi!

I get your point about Decca releasing the Nashville version of That'll Be The Day as a single after the Clovis classic version.

Even now that seems like an odd thing to do considering both labels were under the same corporate umbrella.

However, I doubt that Buddy would have had any objection had it been released as a single shortly after it was recorded in '56.

I believe Holly was proud of his time on Decca, and certainly would never have advocated destroying master tapes as Mr. Fogerty has apparently done.

To clarify my position, I believe that any fan who would seek out alternate takes, demos, low fidelity live recordings etc., is savvy enough to take them for what they are and appreciate or dislike them on their own merits.

As I have said many times in this forum, I draw the line at unwelcome, unauthorized and poorly executed posthumous overdubs such as were done by the Picks. Most unfortunately, these have become very widely available and are often the only versions available in places like Walmart, Target, and (*insert big box store name here) etc.

I certainly respect John Fogerty's wish to control his own art, with the exceptions I mentioned, but any artistic control of a performer who has passed should be overseen by an estate that truly cares about the legacy ind integrity of the art, as well as taking into account the wishes of the most ardent and well meaning fans.

With regard to Buddy's total extant pool of recordings, MEH was a failure during her decades of stewardship (yes I am aware that she had limited control, but she most certainly was not a visibly active advocate).

From what I have read in recent posts to this forum, her final act (that of selling her entire interest to BMG), was really just one last cash grab.

[ Next Thread | Previous Thread | Next Message | Previous Message ]

Replies:
Subject Author Date
Re: John Fogerty biography, BuddyMike CWed January 20, 2016 00:16:24

Login ] Create Account Not required to post.
Post a public reply to this message | Go post a new public message
Note: This forum is moderated -- new posts are not visible until approved.
* HTML allowed in marked fields.
Message subject (required):

Name (required):

Expression (Optional mood/title along with your name) Examples: (happy, sad, The Joyful, etc.) help)

E-mail address (optional):

Type your message here:

Note: This forum is moderated -- new posts are not visible until approved.

Notice: Copies of your message may remain on this and other systems on internet. Please be respectful.

[ Contact Forum Admin ]

Forum timezone: GMT-6
VF Version: 3.00b, ConfDB:
Before posting please read our privacy policy.
VoyForums(tm) is a Free Service from Voyager Info-Systems.
Copyright © 1998-2017 Voyager Info-Systems. All Rights Reserved.