VoyForums

VoyUser Login optional ] [ Contact Forum Admin ] [ Main index ] [ Post a new message ] [ Search | Check update time | Archives: [1]2345678910 ]
Subject: Re: Oh Annie

Author:
Rick
[ Next Thread | Previous Thread | Next Message | Previous Message ]
Date Posted: Tue February 09, 2016 10:33:50
In reply to: Jason Uk 's message, "Oh Annie" on Fri February 05, 2016 06:05:16

McCartney's company, MPL, owns the publishing rights to many of Buddy Holly's compositions. As much as been made of Buddy Holly as a songwriter, many of his recordings were actually written by other people. "Midnight Shift," for example, where Buddy screams "Ohh, Annie!", was NOT written by Buddy Holly. Also, many of Buddy's early compositions are NOT owned by MPL. This includes nearly every Buddy-penned track on the "Ohh, Annie!" album, except for "That'll Be the Day."

McCartney's company owns the publishing, not the actual recordings. Nevertheless, when one of the songs to which MPL holds the publishing rights gets re-issued or covered, the publisher gets paid. There is at least one another party who gets paid when this happens as well, and that is the owners of the master recordings. MPL owns NONE of the actual recordings, but factors into the royalties as the publisher.

The rights to master recordings of different versions the same song can vary, but not the publishing rights. So despite the fact that CD2 of "Ohh, Annie" has Buddy's version of "Blue Suede Shoes" on it, MPL also gets paid on that, as they own the publishing rights to many of Carl Perkins' songs as well.

This applies to my understanding of how the copyrights work in the US. I am not quite sure how they work in the UK, where "Ohh, Annie!" was released, or in other countries. I believe the publishing rights last 70 years after the end of the year in which the composer died, regardless of the release date of a recording or version of the recording. While I'm not sure what the rules are for the master sound recording rights, for purposes of the MPL publishing / Ohh Annie discussion, Sir Paul's company gets paid until 2030 for That'll Be the Day, and until 2069 for Blue Suede Shoes.

[ Next Thread | Previous Thread | Next Message | Previous Message ]

Replies:
Subject Author Date
Re: Oh AnniejasonThu February 11, 2016 15:19:06

VoyUser Login ] Not required to post.
Post a public reply to this message | Go post a new public message
Note: This forum is moderated -- new posts are not visible until approved.
* HTML allowed in marked fields.
Message subject (required):

Name (required):

Expression (Optional mood/title along with your name) Examples: (happy, sad, The Joyful, etc.) help)

E-mail address (optional):

Type your message here:

Note: This forum is moderated -- new posts are not visible until approved.

Notice: Copies of your message may remain on this and other systems on internet. Please be respectful.

[ Contact Forum Admin ]

Forum timezone: GMT-6
VF Version: 3.00b, ConfDB:
Before posting please read our privacy policy.
VoyForums(tm) is a Free Service from Voyager Info-Systems.
Copyright © 1998-2017 Voyager Info-Systems. All Rights Reserved.