VoyForums

Login ] [ Contact Forum Admin ] [ Main index ] [ Post a new message ] [ Search | Check update time | Archives: 1234[5]678910 ]
Subject: Re: Vinyl vs CDs

Author:
Frank
[ Next Thread | Previous Thread | Next Message | Previous Message ]
Date Posted: Mon January 19, 2015 04:14:07
In reply to: Martin Feltham 's message, "Re: Vinyl Making A Comeback" on Fri January 16, 2015 02:25:24

Imho CDs have far more bass than vinyl.

In the days of vinyl, and 45s especially, the bass (and bass drum) had to be quite low otherwise the tone arm would skip or actually jump off the record. One of the first things I noticed when moving to CD in the 80s was the prominence of the bass on songs I was familiar with.

I have top quality (modern and mostly new-ish ) audio equipment and mainly play CDs and I play my music LOUD. When on the odd occasion I play one of my hundreds of vinyl LPs I am struck by the inferior quality compared to CDs. This is on top of the crackles, clicks, pop, hiss, turntable rumble, etc - and I would add that all my vinyl is in excellent condition.

I am also able to sync up both a vinyl album and the CD version and play them both at the same time and then switch back and forth from one to the other in the same part of the song. I don't expect many people have done this, or can be bothered, but when doing a DIRECT comparison like this it is apparent that CDs are far superior.

I can't comment on much modern vinyl but I do own the recent Beach Boys' SMiLE box set which includes a double vinyl of the album and even then I have to say the CDs are far quieter.

There is a lot of "rose tinted" listening regarding vinyl, mainly because we all loved it in the past but imho CDs are far superior.

[ Next Thread | Previous Thread | Next Message | Previous Message ]

Replies:
Subject Author Date
analogue vs. digitalDale (Hi Frank, Amanda)Tue January 20, 2015 16:32:12

Login ] Create Account Not required to post.
Post a public reply to this message | Go post a new public message
Note: This forum is moderated -- new posts are not visible until approved.
* HTML allowed in marked fields.
Message subject (required):

Name (required):

Expression (Optional mood/title along with your name) Examples: (happy, sad, The Joyful, etc.) help)

E-mail address (optional):

Type your message here:

Note: This forum is moderated -- new posts are not visible until approved.

Notice: Copies of your message may remain on this and other systems on internet. Please be respectful.

[ Contact Forum Admin ]

Forum timezone: GMT-6
VF Version: 3.00b, ConfDB:
Before posting please read our privacy policy.
VoyForums(tm) is a Free Service from Voyager Info-Systems.
Copyright © 1998-2017 Voyager Info-Systems. All Rights Reserved.