VoyForums

Login ] [ Contact Forum Admin ] [ Main index ] [ Post a new message ] [ Search | Check update time | Archives: 12345678910 ]
Subject: Re: Buddy Holly's place in history

Author:
Dave H
[ Next Thread | Previous Thread | Next Message | Previous Message ]
Date Posted: Sat November 14, 2015 10:33:09
In reply to: Mark R. Deaver 's message, "Re: Buddy Holly's place in history" on Thu November 12, 2015 20:40:56

True Mark, but it's more than that. It was applied to that whole class of artistes, not all called Bobby, whose style was manufactured by tin pan alley to reclaim hegemony over popular music in the wake of the grassroots rock n roll movement. It includes the likes of Fabian, Frankie Avalon, Johnny Tillotson et. al. It is true that these "teen idols" were having chart success, and this was what Buddy Holly wanted to revive for himself. As an accomplished songwriter, I sure he would have believed himself capable of going with this particular flow.
However, it's also true that Darin, for example, had gone off in a different direction towards the more, shall we say, mature artistes like Sinatra and Como. Buddy Holly may have been hedging his bets with a nod towards this style. If you listen to "Moondreams" (my very least favourite BH track) and "True Love Ways" in your head, then switch to Perry Como singing part way through, you will agree that Como would have probably made better use of these songs than Buddy!
The key is that proper r'n'r had gone. I disagree with the analysis above of Jerry Lee Lewis' ouevre - it was much greater than that. But even just those five songs were more rock 'n' roll than Buddy Holly did.
Are you guys working on a different definition of rock 'n' roll to me?
Dave H

[ Next Thread | Previous Thread | Next Message | Previous Message ]

Replies:
Subject Author Date
Re: Buddy Holly's place in historyDan D.Mon November 16, 2015 13:23:12
Re: Buddy Holly's place in historylink rayMon November 16, 2015 13:34:40

Login ] Create Account Not required to post.
Post a public reply to this message | Go post a new public message
Note: This forum is moderated -- new posts are not visible until approved.
* HTML allowed in marked fields.
Message subject (required):

Name (required):

Expression (Optional mood/title along with your name) Examples: (happy, sad, The Joyful, etc.) help)

E-mail address (optional):

Type your message here:

Note: This forum is moderated -- new posts are not visible until approved.

Notice: Copies of your message may remain on this and other systems on internet. Please be respectful.

[ Contact Forum Admin ]

Forum timezone: GMT-6
VF Version: 3.00b, ConfDB:
Before posting please read our privacy policy.
VoyForums(tm) is a Free Service from Voyager Info-Systems.
Copyright © 1998-2017 Voyager Info-Systems. All Rights Reserved.