VoyForums

Login ] [ Contact Forum Admin ] [ Main index ] [ Post a new message ] [ Search | Check update time | Archives: 12345678910 ]
Subject: Re: Buddy Holly's place in history

Author:
Mike
[ Next Thread | Previous Thread | Next Message | Previous Message ]
Date Posted: Wed November 18, 2015 05:05:06
In reply to: driftwood 's message, "Re: Buddy Holly's place in history" on Tue November 17, 2015 07:16:53

*** By the late 50's, Jerry Lee Lewis was only "done" with rock and roll: His 1958 marriage to his 13-year old cousin coupled with his British tour got him famously blackballed just about everywhere. History tends to say that his story ends here, but the man is alive, kicking, and still playing shows today, so, no, the story isn't over until the man leaves the planet. ***

Very well said, *but* incorrect in a way: He was never "done" with rock 'n roll :)... He still recorded plenty of rock 'n roll during his tenure at SUN and later on when he switched to SMASH/Mercury records as well... SUN highlights include: "Breakup", "Little Queenie", "Lovin' Up A Storm", "Let's Talk About Us", What'd I Say", and "Sweet Little Sixteen"... With the switch to SMASH, he recorded the great records "I'm On Fire" and "Baby Hold Me Close", and his excellent rock 'n roll album, "The Return Of Rock"...

Even when the country hits were going on, he'd get some rockers in there on his albums: "Brown Eyed Handsome Man" & "Big Blon' Baby" immediately come to mind... Plus, he had the albums "The Killer Rocks On", "Southern Roots", & "The Session", all of which were rockin'... In the 80s, the switch to Elektra gave us the rock 'n roll anthem "Rockin' My Life Away" and many others... Bruce Springsteen said it best when he once introduced Jerry Lee to the stage (paraphrased here): "He not only sings rock 'n roll, he *is* rock 'n roll"...

*** Sorry to say but his career was over when he married his 13-year old cousin! He and Dick Clark made ammends on TV but he never had another " Rock and Roll " hit record. ***

WRONG! "Breakup", released at the height of the scandal made it to number # 52... Some might say "That's not a hit 'cause it wasn't Top 40" which is bull... That's a respectable number, especially considering all the bad press he was getting at the time... Even better when you consider Buddy Holly's "Heartbeat" made it to # 82 and The Crickets record "It's So Easy" didn't chart *at all*...
Add to that, he had a comeback record on SUN when he had a sizable hit with his rendition of "What'd I Say"...

Tha 70's brought charting rock 'n roll hit singles of "Chantilly Lace", "Me and Bobby McGee", and "Drinkin' Wine Spo-Dee-O-Dee"... And his rock 'n roll based albums "The Killer Rocks On" and "The Session" also were highly charting LPs...

[ Next Thread | Previous Thread | Next Message | Previous Message ]

Replies:
Subject Author Date
Re: Buddy Holly's place in historylink rayWed November 18, 2015 08:25:06
Re: Buddy Holly's place in historyMulliganWed November 18, 2015 09:18:15
Re: Buddy Holly's place in historydriftwoodWed November 18, 2015 17:58:21

Login ] Create Account Not required to post.
Post a public reply to this message | Go post a new public message
Note: This forum is moderated -- new posts are not visible until approved.
* HTML allowed in marked fields.
Message subject (required):

Name (required):

Expression (Optional mood/title along with your name) Examples: (happy, sad, The Joyful, etc.) help)

E-mail address (optional):

Type your message here:

Note: This forum is moderated -- new posts are not visible until approved.

Notice: Copies of your message may remain on this and other systems on internet. Please be respectful.

[ Contact Forum Admin ]

Forum timezone: GMT-6
VF Version: 3.00b, ConfDB:
Before posting please read our privacy policy.
VoyForums(tm) is a Free Service from Voyager Info-Systems.
Copyright © 1998-2017 Voyager Info-Systems. All Rights Reserved.