VoyForums

Login ] [ Contact Forum Admin ] [ Main index ] [ Post a new message ] [ Search | Check update time | Archives: 12345678910 ]
Subject: Re: Shawn Nagy's Buddy Holly website

Author:
HK (Be wild, not evil)
[ Next Thread | Previous Thread | Next Message | Previous Message ]
Date Posted: Thu July 07, 2016 13:39:12
In reply to: Shawn 's message, "Re: Shawn Nagy's Buddy Holly website" on Thu June 30, 2016 01:18:42

I'm probably going to get into trouble for saying this but never mind it won't be the first time. The worst thing that happened to this forum was the closure of Shawn's message board. The hardcore Buddynuts he nurtured there migrated en masse and this forum changed almost overnight from a place where you could have interesting discussions about 1950s music and culture in general to one dominated by people obsessed by one artist and a few closely associated figures. Buddy Holly, The Bopper and Ritchie Valens are of course legitimate topics for discussion within the broad spectrum of rock n roll but their significance in no way justifies their total domination of a forum once devoted to the Rockin' 50s as a whole. Sadly many of the really knowledgeable people who once posted here (they know who they are) have been washed away by a tsunami of repetitive postings about topics like the coin toss and the plane crash (read back some of those threads and try to work out when anything new was last said). I used to like this place because you could throw out a bit of bait and end up with a longline that was both informative and entertaining and from which you invariably learned something. Try to do it now and it very swiftly gets skewed back to a Buddy Holly topic. Buddy was a pretty good rocker and earns his place in any discussion of the Rockin 50s as a result but despite what some people here seem to think he was in no way the central figure in rock n roll. A sense of perspective is called for. I'll close this rant with an observation I've made before: I found this board with a Google search about 15 years ago for Jo Ann Campbell, the greatest female rocker you’ve never heard of. I think that illustrates the breadth of discussion that was going on back then. Wouldn’t happen now.

[ Next Thread | Previous Thread | Next Message | Previous Message ]

Replies:
Subject Author Date
Re: Shawn Nagy's Buddy Holly websiteJohn HFri July 15, 2016 01:41:42

Login ] Create Account Not required to post.
Post a public reply to this message | Go post a new public message
Note: This forum is moderated -- new posts are not visible until approved.
* HTML allowed in marked fields.
Message subject (required):

Name (required):

Expression (Optional mood/title along with your name) Examples: (happy, sad, The Joyful, etc.) help)

E-mail address (optional):

Type your message here:

Note: This forum is moderated -- new posts are not visible until approved.

Notice: Copies of your message may remain on this and other systems on internet. Please be respectful.

[ Contact Forum Admin ]

Forum timezone: GMT-6
VF Version: 3.00b, ConfDB:
Before posting please read our privacy policy.
VoyForums(tm) is a Free Service from Voyager Info-Systems.
Copyright © 1998-2017 Voyager Info-Systems. All Rights Reserved.