VoyForums

Login ] [ Contact Forum Admin ] [ Main index ] [ Post a new message ] [ Search | Check update time | Archives: 12345678910 ]
Subject: Re: Vintage Rock Magazine

Author:
Lachlan
[ Next Thread | Previous Thread | Next Message | Previous Message ]
Date Posted: Fri July 29, 2016 01:41:36
In reply to: Kenny 's message, "Re: Vintage Rock Magazine" on Mon July 25, 2016 12:12:31

I bought this about a week ago. Saw Buddy on the cover, so I bought it. There are quite a few errors in the text regarding the overdubs. They completely forgot about the Jack Hansen overdubs from 1959, and went straight for Norman Petty's overdubs with the Fireballs. Oddly enough, the songs recorded at Bobby Peeples' studio in Lubbock are listed as being recorded in Buddy's garage, with only he and Jerry Allison taking part. When listing to the undubbed recordings, you can hear a bass slapping away in the mix. They also seem to praise the overdubbed versions, which I find a tad perplexing. Sure, the masters were fairly rough'n'ready; but it is pure, raw rock'n'roll that you hear when listening to the recordings undubbed. Personally, I like them undubbed. You get a glimpse of what it would have been like to listen to Buddy and his band at the roller rink on a Saturday night, before they hit it big.

Norman is portrayed as both a villian (typical of most Holly narratives), and also as an ally, depending on who wrote the article. An editor should make sure that there is some consistancy, although some conflict of opinion can prompt people to dig deeper and do a bit of research to find out what really happened. I did think that this facet could have been rearched by some of the contributing authors a little better. The main article on Petty was pretty good, although there was a little too much waffle in parts of it.

The look at Buddy's 45 collection was interesting. I didn't know Buddy would have had any records by Bobby Vee. Again, a little bit more research into when the 45's were released would have been of great benefit.

Despite some glaring inaccuracies it is overall a well put together tribute magazine. Certainly worth the $15 I paid for it.

[ Next Thread | Previous Thread | Next Message | Previous Message ]

Replies:
Subject Author Date
Re: Vintage Rock MagazineDale (thanks to all)Fri July 29, 2016 15:46:10

Login ] Create Account Not required to post.
Post a public reply to this message | Go post a new public message
Note: This forum is moderated -- new posts are not visible until approved.
* HTML allowed in marked fields.
Message subject (required):

Name (required):

Expression (Optional mood/title along with your name) Examples: (happy, sad, The Joyful, etc.) help)

E-mail address (optional):

Type your message here:

Note: This forum is moderated -- new posts are not visible until approved.

Notice: Copies of your message may remain on this and other systems on internet. Please be respectful.

[ Contact Forum Admin ]

Forum timezone: GMT-6
VF Version: 3.00b, ConfDB:
Before posting please read our privacy policy.
VoyForums(tm) is a Free Service from Voyager Info-Systems.
Copyright © 1998-2017 Voyager Info-Systems. All Rights Reserved.