VoyForums
GIVE FREE FOOD
www.TheHungerSite.com
-> Click Here <-
Fund Free Mammograms with a Click
www.TheBreastCancerSite.com
-> Click Here <-
Non-profit ad served by VoyForums...

Login ] [ Contact Forum Admin ] [ Main index ] [ Post a new message ] [ Search | Check update time | Archives: 12345678910 ]
Subject: Re: Vintage Rock Magazine

Author:
Dale (thanks to all)
[ Next Thread | Previous Thread | Next Message | Previous Message ]
Date Posted: Fri July 29, 2016 15:46:10
In reply to: Lachlan 's message, "Re: Vintage Rock Magazine" on Fri July 29, 2016 01:41:36

Hi all

Thanks for posting your reviews.

It's quite sad that as the years go by, the quality of writing and fact checking for articles about all era's of rock continues to decline.

Based on some of what I see in the magazine, it seems that the Gary Busy portrayal is now being taken, at least subconsciously, as the real thing.

I know all the "glass half full" folks will always say that they are just happy there are still publications being issued about Buddy and 50's rock in general, but I do lament the decline in good, sound journalism.

As far as what is not included, I would have enjoyed a section on tribute albums and individual cover versions, as well as an overview of all the various biographies and documentaries, including those that are rarely if ever seen, such as the 1978 PBS TV doc.

If a publisher really wanted to get my attention, a thorough article on the shenanigans have taken place in the last 50 years would make for a compelling read.

Starting with the decisions Norman Petty made after obtaining all the raw tapes, the lost attempt to get Jerry Alison's version of the story to the screen, the 1980's scandal of the phony acetates, the horrible vandalism done by the Picks to the original classic recordings, and the general indifference to Buddy's legacy displayed by MEH over the decades and an accurate clarification
of the rights deal she recently made.

In the style of Mojo magazine, it would have been a nice touch to include a short column on the decades long contributions of both Bill Griggs and John Beecher, off-time rivals who I'm sure had a good amount of respect for each other.

I am aware that some of my wish list has been covered in the past, John Goldrosen's groundbreaking biography is great, but there may be new sources and folks willing to talk after all these decades.

With regard to the many errors in the magazine, it's sad that the contributing writers and their editors have so little pride in their byline.

Yes, I will acknowledge the possibility that some new fans may discover Buddy's music though this recent publication.

Perhaps one of them will create the best ever Holly Bio, documentary, or compilation of recordings.

[ Next Thread | Previous Thread | Next Message | Previous Message ]

Replies:
Subject Author Date
Re: Vintage Rock MagazineJack MillerTue August 09, 2016 01:58:53
Re: Vintage Rock Magazinejoe (moreau)Fri August 12, 2016 17:06:29

Login ] Create Account Not required to post.
Post a public reply to this message | Go post a new public message
Note: This forum is moderated -- new posts are not visible until approved.
* HTML allowed in marked fields.
Message subject (required):

Name (required):

Expression (Optional mood/title along with your name) Examples: (happy, sad, The Joyful, etc.) help)

E-mail address (optional):

Type your message here:

Note: This forum is moderated -- new posts are not visible until approved.

Notice: Copies of your message may remain on this and other systems on internet. Please be respectful.

[ Contact Forum Admin ]

Forum timezone: GMT-6
VF Version: 3.00b, ConfDB:
Before posting please read our privacy policy.
VoyForums(tm) is a Free Service from Voyager Info-Systems.
Copyright © 1998-2017 Voyager Info-Systems. All Rights Reserved.