VoyForums

Login ] [ Contact Forum Admin ] [ Main index ] [ Post a new message ] [ Search | Check update time | Archives: 12345678910 ]
Subject: Re: Cover versions

Author:
Dave H
[ Next Thread | Previous Thread | Next Message | Previous Message ]
Date Posted: Tue August 23, 2016 07:37:40
In reply to: M. Bloom 's message, "Re: Cover versions" on Mon August 22, 2016 19:23:38

Well that's sad, because there is a lot of great music out there.
Anyway, I offer my apologies for not following my own rules!! John Fogerty's "Rockin All Over The World" was of course a 70's track, not 50's, and so must be withdrawn from my list.
I think most of us count the rockin' 50's as going up to 1962, because the music changed radically thereafter. I personally always take it up to December 1962, which was the last month that Lonnie Donegan's last hit was in the charts. The Beatles first hit "Love Me do" charted in October 1962, but their major breakthrough hit, "Please Please Me" charted in Britain in January 1963. Nothing was the same after that.

Lonnie was a seminal figure in British pop in the 50's, and for me the 50's ended when his chart career ended. He was one of the few British artistes pre-Beatles to get a US hit, (Rock Island Line), and he majored in Leadbelly songs. However, his skiffle style was emulated by many many young hopefuls in pop music in Britain, including the Beatles.

Anyway, to replace the removed cover, I offer you :-
"Twist And Shout" by The Beatles (orig. The Top Notes 1961)

Dave H

[ Next Thread | Previous Thread | Next Message | Previous Message ]

Replies:
Subject Author Date
Re: Cover versionsHK (Be wild, not ervil)Wed September 07, 2016 05:48:06
Re: Cover versionsDave 'tyke' UKWed September 07, 2016 06:32:24

Login ] Create Account Not required to post.
Post a public reply to this message | Go post a new public message
Note: This forum is moderated -- new posts are not visible until approved.
* HTML allowed in marked fields.
Message subject (required):

Name (required):

Expression (Optional mood/title along with your name) Examples: (happy, sad, The Joyful, etc.) help)

E-mail address (optional):

Type your message here:

Note: This forum is moderated -- new posts are not visible until approved.

Notice: Copies of your message may remain on this and other systems on internet. Please be respectful.

[ Contact Forum Admin ]

Forum timezone: GMT-6
VF Version: 3.00b, ConfDB:
Before posting please read our privacy policy.
VoyForums(tm) is a Free Service from Voyager Info-Systems.
Copyright © 1998-2017 Voyager Info-Systems. All Rights Reserved.