VoyForums
GIVE FREE FOOD
www.TheHungerSite.com
-> Click Here <-
Fund Free Mammograms with a Click
www.TheBreastCancerSite.com
-> Click Here <-
Non-profit ad served by VoyForums...

VoyUser Login optional ] [ Contact Forum Admin ] [ Main index ] [ Post a new message ] [ Search | Check update time | Archives: 12345678910 ]
Subject: Re: Vandergriff's book "In Flanders Field"

Author:
Lachlan
[ Next Thread | Previous Thread | Next Message | Previous Message ]
Date Posted: Fri September 30, 2016 22:30:40
In reply to: Dave H 's message, "Re: Vandergriff's book "In Flanders Field"" on Fri September 30, 2016 04:38:05

To be honest, I *think* Buddy would have been bored a long time ago by the arguments from both sides. Then again, I'm not Buddy. What would I know about what he'd think about Ryan's choice of book title, or what Bill would have thought of it for that matter? They might have liked it. They might have disliked it. They might have been indifferent to it. Who's to say? They're both gone and they aren't here to give their opinion, and it is a tad arrogant to presume what their opinion would have been.

When all is said and done, the end result is the same: the title of the book isn't changing. It doesn't matter how much you argue the point, or provide family history. It doesn't matter how much you choose to be offended by it (getting offended IS a choice too). It won't change. If anything, the more you argue that it should change, the less likely (however remote the chance)any thought would be given to changing the title.

I'll level with you here. I've just turned 36. I know that members of my family were in the first World War. I know that they fought bravely and that it was a long and bloody battle. However, it was a long time ago. There are many things within that war that I don't know about. I only had a vague knowledge of "In Flanders Field" before Ryan released his book. Being detached from the first World War by quite a few generations, I enterpret the poem differently to you. I can apply the poem to other situations, just as you can apply a song to other situations than what the author originally intended.

I certainly think this is the case here. I don't think Ryan is much older than I am (he may even be younger). I am fairly sure that he read the poem, and thought it would be a good metaphore for the plane crash. Not so much for the actual reason the poem was written, but for the other message contained in it - they will not be forgotten, but life goes on. We keep going. The reference to there being a 'field' would also have been a small factor I am sure.

Judging by Ryan's initial reaction to the backlash, I honestly don't think there was any malicious intent with his choice of title. I am sure he views the poem the same way as I do - differently to you.

Another thought crossed my mind too. Instead of giving your opinion and taking offence; why didn't you simply ask Ryan why he chose the title (my memory is that nobody did), and try to gain an understanding of his perspective, rather than trying to bully him into changing the title? Perhaps then the result may have been a little different.

Sometimes driving the nail in with one blow ain't such a good idea. You push the bottom piece of wood out and away; split the top piece, and leave welt marks in it from the hammer head. That's what has happened here.

[ Next Thread | Previous Thread | Next Message | Previous Message ]

Replies:
Subject Author Date
Re: Vandergriff's book "In Flanders Field"Mike CSat October 01, 2016 01:01:39
Re: Vandergriff's book "In Flanders Field"Kevin TerrySat October 01, 2016 07:04:55

VoyUser Login ] Not required to post.
Post a public reply to this message | Go post a new public message
Note: This forum is moderated -- new posts are not visible until approved.
* HTML allowed in marked fields.
Message subject (required):

Name (required):

Expression (Optional mood/title along with your name) Examples: (happy, sad, The Joyful, etc.) help)

E-mail address (optional):

Type your message here:

Note: This forum is moderated -- new posts are not visible until approved.

Notice: Copies of your message may remain on this and other systems on internet. Please be respectful.

[ Contact Forum Admin ]

Forum timezone: GMT-6
VF Version: 3.00b, ConfDB:
Before posting please read our privacy policy.
VoyForums(tm) is a Free Service from Voyager Info-Systems.
Copyright © 1998-2017 Voyager Info-Systems. All Rights Reserved.