VoyForums

Login ] [ Contact Forum Admin ] [ Main index ] [ Post a new message ] [ Search | Check update time | Archives: 12345678910 ]
Subject: Re: Bobby Vee;R.I.P

Author:
Rick
[ Next Thread | Previous Thread | Next Message | Previous Message ]
Date Posted: Tue October 25, 2016 11:23:59
In reply to: Damon 's message, "Bobby Vee;R.I.P" on Tue October 25, 2016 07:29:59

I remember seeing him at the "50 Winters Later" concert on February 2nd, 2009. He was backed by his sons, the Flying Vees, and a string section. I wrote a somewhat detail account of the evening back then. Here's an excerpt on the Bobby Vee section:

"Sir Tim Rice came out to introduce an American who is loved by fans all over the world, on the 50th Anniversary of the start of his professional career, Bobby Vee. It was Bobby Vee who was among the local Fargo-Moorhead acts asked to fill the slots on the bill left by the loss of the three stars. Months later, Bobby had a recording career, and the rest is history. As he walked on the stage a Bobby fan coaxed me and a few taller folk to hold up her banner wishing him a "Happy 50th Anniversary" (to the start of his career, not to cheer the plane crash) and I felt bad, because Bobby didn't notice it right away, so I'm sure we were annoying the people behind us. But his eyes lit up when they caught that sign. We yanked it down just as the camera cranes were swirling toward us, probably denying us our TV moment. People may associate Bobby with the bouncy bouncy "Rubber Ball" but he also recorded on several occasions with the Crickets over the years and in his set performed a Crickets hit "More Than I Can Say" (which was a bit prophetic considering he had lost most of his voice.) Vee and his family were heavily involved with the production of the entire festival, with his son taking charge of a lot of the stage direction throughout the night, even firing up the crowd during one of the longer set breaks after Cousin Brucie faded away. The Killer Vees had a very tight band, but sadly, Bobby's voice was fadiing and he had to cut his set short. He used DiNizio's strings to accompany him on "The Night Has a Thousand Eyes." The Boomer-laden crowd, 4 1/2 hours into the show, recognized Bobby's voice was cutting out and carried the tune in a moment that noticeably moved Bobby. I could tell the strings were disappointed, as it was obvious they were going to be heavily featured on "Take Good Care of My Baby," but it was not to be. "

Boy, do I wish the footage filmed from that night was available somewhere.

A link to the entire review (on a Brian Setzer message board) is here. (Which is why I reference Chuck Leavell and Kenny Aronoff as members of an 80s Setzer solo band, the Radiation Ranch): to cut and paste link, start at the http and end of the word "died". <a rel=nofollow target=_blank href="http://hoodoovoodoolounge.darkbb.com/t684-the-day-the-music-died">http://hoodoovoodoolounge.darkbb.com/t684-the-day-the-music-died</a>

[ Next Thread | Previous Thread | Next Message | Previous Message ]

Login ] Create Account Not required to post.
Post a public reply to this message | Go post a new public message
Note: This forum is moderated -- new posts are not visible until approved.
* HTML allowed in marked fields.
Message subject (required):

Name (required):

Expression (Optional mood/title along with your name) Examples: (happy, sad, The Joyful, etc.) help)

E-mail address (optional):

Type your message here:

Note: This forum is moderated -- new posts are not visible until approved.

Notice: Copies of your message may remain on this and other systems on internet. Please be respectful.

[ Contact Forum Admin ]

Forum timezone: GMT-6
VF Version: 3.00b, ConfDB:
Before posting please read our privacy policy.
VoyForums(tm) is a Free Service from Voyager Info-Systems.
Copyright © 1998-2017 Voyager Info-Systems. All Rights Reserved.