VoyForums

VoyUser Login optional ] [ Contact Forum Admin ] [ Main index ] [ Post a new message ] [ Search | Check update time | Archives: 12345678910 ]
Subject: Re: Article: "The RRHOF Nominees Are A Disgrace To Music"

Author:
Dale (Hi Randy)
[ Next Thread | Previous Thread | Next Message | Previous Message ]
Date Posted: Thu October 27, 2016 18:17:41
In reply to: Dan D. 's message, "Re: Article: "The RRHOF Nominees Are A Disgrace To Music"" on Thu October 27, 2016 13:29:31

I actually have less of a problem with the nominees this year than I have had in several years previous.

I don't care for the idea of Joan Baez, only because she has not a single rock and roll molecule in her whole body.

She is a dominant figure of folk music, a formidable songwriter, and perhaps a big influence on the likes of Joni Mitchell et al, but she is simply not rock and roll in any way shape or form.

I also really have never understood the appeal of the J. Geils band or Journey, but I admit that is a very personal bias.

I am fully on board with the MC5, Kraftwerk, Chic, ELO, Bad Brains and Janet Jackson.

I can live with the nomination of pretty well all the others, even Tupac (though I never could stand pearl jam all that much, and they spawned some pretty awful sound alike groups.)

Since it's easy to make the argument that several of this years nominees are there due to influence, and not a mega level of fame, it's my hope that six acts who also had tremendous influence, but are also actual rockers, will eventually get in the hall.

Here are my overlooked 6: Dave Edmunds, Suzi Quatro, The Guess Who, The Bobby Fuller Four, Gram Parsons and Billy Fury.

Of course there are MANY others, but at last it seems that selling a ton of records ("moving units"), is not an overriding requirement any more.

[ Next Thread | Previous Thread | Next Message | Previous Message ]

Replies:
Subject Author Date
Re: Article: "The RRHOF Nominees Are A Disgrace To Music"KennyFri October 28, 2016 09:44:56
Re: Article: "The RRHOF Nominees Are A Disgrace To Music"RickDFri October 28, 2016 15:48:57

VoyUser Login ] Not required to post.
Post a public reply to this message | Go post a new public message
Note: This forum is moderated -- new posts are not visible until approved.
* HTML allowed in marked fields.
Message subject (required):

Name (required):

Expression (Optional mood/title along with your name) Examples: (happy, sad, The Joyful, etc.) help)

E-mail address (optional):

Type your message here:

Note: This forum is moderated -- new posts are not visible until approved.

Notice: Copies of your message may remain on this and other systems on internet. Please be respectful.

[ Contact Forum Admin ]

Forum timezone: GMT-6
VF Version: 3.00b, ConfDB:
Before posting please read our privacy policy.
VoyForums(tm) is a Free Service from Voyager Info-Systems.
Copyright © 1998-2017 Voyager Info-Systems. All Rights Reserved.