VoyForums

VoyUser Login optional ] [ Contact Forum Admin ] [ Main index ] [ Post a new message ] [ Search | Check update time | Archives: 12345678910 ]
Subject: Re: Younger People Who Post Here

Author:
Lachlan
[ Next Thread | Previous Thread | Next Message | Previous Message ]
Date Posted: Fri November 11, 2016 12:00:16
In reply to: Ben 's message, "Younger People Who Post Here" on Sat September 03, 2016 09:13:33

Dunno if you'd call me young - I turned 36 the same day Buddy would have turned 80. I'm probably younger than most here - at least I think I am!

How did I discover Buddy and his music?

Chance.

Dad had a tape of John Lennon's Rock'n'Roll album, which was played on a regular basis at home. Lennon did a cover of Peggy Sue on it. I heard Peggy Sue on the radio one day, I would have been eight at the time. I remember coming home excited to tell Dad that I'd heard John Lennon singing Peggy Sue on the radio and he asked was I sure it wasn't Buddy Holly? "Who is Buddy Holly, Dad? He sounds like a cowboy." "He sung Peggy Sue originally. He died in a plane crash." "Plane crash? Same one as that Ritchie guy who sings La Bamba?" "Yeah. Same one."

I didn't think anymore about Buddy really. I heard Peggy Sue on the radio again, and knew it wasn't Lennon singing it that time. I imagined a bloke with a cowboy hat singing it, with a western shirt on. Other than that, it was just a casual listen. It left my mind soon afterwards.

A few weeks later - I reckon it would have been early February, which is pretty hot over here in Australia; I snuck into the music room at school during recess - a big no-no back then. Firstly it was to get out of the harsh sunlight and sweltering heat, and secondly there was a book on Rock'n'Roll I wanted to look at, specifically at pictures of Bo Diddley with his Thunderbird Gretsch. I knew who Bo was, and thought he was pretty cool (not bad taste for an eight year old!).

While flicking through the book looking for the photos of Bo, I came across a photo of Buddy and The Crickets posing for a photo while doing the Off The Record T.V show in the UK. I was amazed at how Buddy looked. He looked nothing like I thought he would. He was a lot younger and had those big black glasses on. He was also holding a Fender Strat - "I didn't know that had guitars like that in the '50's, and I didn't know he played guitar!".

Yep, I was pretty impressed. I was also impressed that Buddy was backed by only a double bass player and drummer! I went home that night and asked Dad if he's buy a tape of Buddy Holly. Dad gave me a perplexed look and asked me "What do you want a tape of him for?". My reply was that I was interested to hear what he sounded like. Dad bought a tape of Buddy not long afterwards, and I was totally hooked. Buddy became my hero. I wanted to play guitar and sing like him, but when I was told I needed glasses, I didn't want to wear them - even when I was reminded that Buddy did. I started playing guitar though. Dad had a guitar, and he showed me how to play all the right chords, which I learnt rapidly. My younger brother wanted to play drums just like Jerry Allison too. The Crickets became household names, often referred to by their first name (Buddy, Joe and Jerry).

After a short while, Dad bought a tape of Eddie Cochran (the Singles album). Eddie was a big influence, but Buddy was always my favorite. So it went from there. I became totally obsessed with guitars as a result. I always liked Buddy's Strat and wanted one just like his, but after seeing Eddie's Gretsch 6120, I changed my mind. I bought my first Gretsch when I was 18, and have seven of them now. Funny thing is, I play Buddy's songs on them more than anything else!

Anyway, there's my story.

[ Next Thread | Previous Thread | Next Message | Previous Message ]

Replies:
Subject Author Date
Re: Younger People Who Post Heredavidt-wTue November 15, 2016 10:53:27

VoyUser Login ] Not required to post.
Post a public reply to this message | Go post a new public message
Note: This forum is moderated -- new posts are not visible until approved.
* HTML allowed in marked fields.
Message subject (required):

Name (required):

Expression (Optional mood/title along with your name) Examples: (happy, sad, The Joyful, etc.) help)

E-mail address (optional):

Type your message here:

Note: This forum is moderated -- new posts are not visible until approved.

Notice: Copies of your message may remain on this and other systems on internet. Please be respectful.

[ Contact Forum Admin ]

Forum timezone: GMT-6
VF Version: 3.00b, ConfDB:
Before posting please read our privacy policy.
VoyForums(tm) is a Free Service from Voyager Info-Systems.
Copyright © 1998-2017 Voyager Info-Systems. All Rights Reserved.