VoyForums

VoyUser Login optional ] [ Contact Forum Admin ] [ Main index ] [ Post a new message ] [ Search | Check update time | Archives: 12345678910 ]
Subject: Robbie Robertson - Buddy Holly

Author:
Mark
[ Next Thread | Previous Thread | Next Message | Previous Message ]
Date Posted: Sat November 19, 2016 09:46:42

Robbie Robertson, guitarist for the Band, has a new memoir out entitled "Testimony" that contains the following anecdote:

"Robertson was just 14 years old when he went to see Alan Freed's Revue tour in the fall of 1957. Fats Domino, Chuck Berry, the Everly Brothers and Frankie Lymon were all on the bill, but Robertson was most excited to see the headliner: Buddy Holly and the Crickets. After the show, Robertson stormed to the front of the stage and asked the 21-year-old singer-guitarist how he got his unique guitar sound. "Here's the thing," Holly responded, much to Robertson's astonishment. "I got this Fender amp with two 12-inch speakers. I blew one of the speakers, and thought it sounded better, so I left it." "I couldn't believe it," he writes, "not only was Buddy Holly a genuinely nice guy, he was willing to reveal the kind of inside information I was hungry for."

This story doesn't ring true to me. I doubt Holly would perform with an amp that had lost a speaker. Robertson has been known to stretch the truth at times. Any thoughts on this?

[ Next Thread | Previous Thread | Next Message | Previous Message ]

Replies:
Subject Author Date
Re: Robbie Robertson - Buddy HollyRamblinJackSat November 19, 2016 11:42:33
Re: Robbie Robertson - Buddy HollyDaleSat November 19, 2016 16:04:19
Re: Robbie Robertson - Buddy HollydriftwoodSun November 20, 2016 21:54:11
Re: Robbie Robertson - Buddy HollyWalt R.Mon November 21, 2016 18:03:12
Re: Robbie Robertson - Buddy HollyM. BloomMon November 21, 2016 20:30:25

VoyUser Login ] Not required to post.
Post a public reply to this message | Go post a new public message
Note: This forum is moderated -- new posts are not visible until approved.
* HTML allowed in marked fields.
Message subject (required):

Name (required):

Expression (Optional mood/title along with your name) Examples: (happy, sad, The Joyful, etc.) help)

E-mail address (optional):

Type your message here:

Note: This forum is moderated -- new posts are not visible until approved.

Notice: Copies of your message may remain on this and other systems on internet. Please be respectful.

[ Contact Forum Admin ]

Forum timezone: GMT-6
VF Version: 3.00b, ConfDB:
Before posting please read our privacy policy.
VoyForums(tm) is a Free Service from Voyager Info-Systems.
Copyright © 1998-2017 Voyager Info-Systems. All Rights Reserved.