VoyForums

VoyUser Login optional ] [ Contact Forum Admin ] [ Main index ] [ Post a new message ] [ Search | Check update time | Archives: 12345678910 ]
Subject: Re: Buddy Holly and Bobby Fuller

Author:
Dale
[ Next Thread | Previous Thread | Next Message | Previous Message ]
Date Posted: Tue November 29, 2016 18:55:40
In reply to: Dave'tyke' 's message, "Re: Buddy Holly and Bobby Fuller" on Tue November 29, 2016 14:57:44

I love pretty much everything Bobby Fuller ever put on tape.

I always describe his version of "Love's Made A Fool.." as the natural progression, the "higher octane" sound for 1965,
that I think Buddy would also have found had he lived.

A big part of the fabulous excitement of the Fuller version is due to the advance in recording equipment that was available in L.A. by 1965.

The early adoption of 8 recording tracks enabled not only a great stereo soundscape, it eliminated the need for track on track overdubbing.

Of course Bobby's vision of the song was also to "hype" it and turn it into more of a "Rave On" style tune.

Both Buddy's original, with the beautiful and fluid lead playing by Tommy Allsup, and Bobby's fab cover version, are superb.

Off topic..

If you want to hear a tantalizing version of what an original Holly classic might have possibly sounded like
had Norman Petty been using very early stereo gear (probably 2 track at best, sometimes called "binaural"),
check out this very skillfully done digital manipulation
by youtube user "amigoivystereo":

<a rel=nofollow target=_blank href="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rjL77JiiutU">https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rjL77JiiutU</a>

To my ear, even though it is a gimmick, it adds a layer of excitement to a track we have all heard hundreds, if not thousands of times.

I also appreciate the effort because it was done with empathy and respect for the original mono classic, and nothing other than original Holly recording elements were used to create the stereo effect. In other words, no extraneous modern overdubs!

I offer this mainly as an example of the extra "energy" advantage, for lack of a better descriptor, that well done stereo recordings can have vs. mono.

HOWEVER!! Poorly done artificial stereo of the type that was common in the 1960's and early 1970's is a terrible way to listen to music that was recorded only in mono, and I have a lot of respect for true mono original recordings!

[ Next Thread | Previous Thread | Next Message | Previous Message ]

Replies:
Subject Author Date
Re: Buddy Holly and Bobby FullerMulliganWed November 30, 2016 12:54:14

VoyUser Login ] Not required to post.
Post a public reply to this message | Go post a new public message
Note: This forum is moderated -- new posts are not visible until approved.
* HTML allowed in marked fields.
Message subject (required):

Name (required):

Expression (Optional mood/title along with your name) Examples: (happy, sad, The Joyful, etc.) help)

E-mail address (optional):

Type your message here:

Note: This forum is moderated -- new posts are not visible until approved.

Notice: Copies of your message may remain on this and other systems on internet. Please be respectful.

[ Contact Forum Admin ]

Forum timezone: GMT-6
VF Version: 3.00b, ConfDB:
Before posting please read our privacy policy.
VoyForums(tm) is a Free Service from Voyager Info-Systems.
Copyright © 1998-2016 Voyager Info-Systems. All Rights Reserved.