VoyForums
[ Show ]
Support VoyForums
[ Shrink ]
VoyForums Announcement: Programming and providing support for this service has been a labor of love since 1997. We are one of the few services online who values our users' privacy, and have never sold your information. We have even fought hard to defend your privacy in legal cases; however, we've done it with almost no financial support -- paying out of pocket to continue providing the service. Due to the issues imposed on us by advertisers, we also stopped hosting most ads on the forums many years ago. We hope you appreciate our efforts.

Show your support by donating any amount. (Note: We are still technically a for-profit company, so your contribution is not tax-deductible.) PayPal Acct: Feedback:

Donate to VoyForums (PayPal):

Login ] [ Contact Forum Admin ] [ Main index ] [ Post a new message ] [ Search | Check update time | Archives: 12345678910 ]
Subject: Re: HK Mike has passed away today.

Author:
Mike C
[ Next Thread | Previous Thread | Next Message | Previous Message ]
Date Posted: Sat January 14, 2017 11:13:46
In reply to: Randy Steele 's message, "HK Mike has passed away today." on Fri January 13, 2017 17:55:14

I may be the only one here to have actually met him.

A few years ago he took me on a tour of the fleshpots of Hong Kong, which he appeared to know intimately. He had brought along a Buddy Holly CD and the madam of one particular house put it on – I have a vivid recollection of these hookers all swaying seductively (and surreally)to ‘Peggy Sue Got Married’. Mike had a wicked sense of humour and while this was going on he made a call to a very well known ex-poster here to regale him with a description of the scene, putting me in prime position. We ended up in a pub with live music and he was very unimpressed with my back-up singing to ‘Have You Ever Seen The Rain’.

Two or three years later he was our house guest for a couple of nights. If you think his posts here showed intolerance for anything that doesn’t rock, you should have seen him in action. He had a complete contempt for any other kind of music. In fact, the word ‘contempt’ doesn’t really do this justice. I tried to expand his knowledge by playing some country rock, e.g. Steve Earle, Albert Lee, and he was saying ‘take it off’ after about three or four bars. I did manage to introduce him to Dion’s ‘Brooklyn Blues’ which he quite appreciated. I scored a moral victory when I asked him if he realized that Chuck Berry’s vocal style was based on Nat ‘King’ Cole. I put on my records of the Trio from the late 1940s and he got the point immediately, liked them so much that I had to copy them for him.

He definitely lived in a fifties bubble. His language when referring to people like Bob Dylan and Bruce Springsteen is unrepeatable here and – especially of course – the Beatles – they basically ruined his life. Whenever he mentioned their name he virtually spat it out.

He could be difficult to get on with but then so can I and I wasn’t so close to him in later years. But he was also magnanimous and he had the most encyclopaedic knowledge of roots music of anyone I’ve ever met.

He is a great loss to this board.

Mike

[ Next Thread | Previous Thread | Next Message | Previous Message ]

Replies:
Subject Author Date
Re: HK Mike has passed away today.Lothar PeddSat January 14, 2017 13:07:38
    Re: HK Mike has passed away today.Larry Zinter (sad)Sun January 15, 2017 11:32:48

Login ] Create Account Not required to post.
    Post a public reply to this message | Go post a new public message
    Note: This forum is moderated -- new posts are not visible until approved.
    * HTML allowed in marked fields.
    Message subject (required):

Name (required):

Expression (Optional mood/title along with your name) Examples: (happy, sad, The Joyful, etc.) help)

E-mail address (optional):

Type your message here:

Note: This forum is moderated -- new posts are not visible until approved.

Notice: Copies of your message may remain on this and other systems on internet. Please be respectful.

[ Contact Forum Admin ]

Forum timezone: GMT-6
    VF Version: 3.00b, ConfDB:
    Before posting please read our privacy policy.
    VoyForums(tm) is a Free Service from Voyager Info-Systems.
    Copyright © 1998-2019 Voyager Info-Systems. All Rights Reserved.