VoyForums

VoyUser Login optional ] [ Contact Forum Admin ] [ Main index ] [ Post a new message ] [ Search | Check update time | Archives: 12345678910 ]
Subject: Re: Advertising

Author:
Casey
[ Next Thread | Previous Thread | Next Message | Previous Message ]
Date Posted: Tue January 24, 2017 08:05:06
In reply to: Greg 's message, "Re: Advertising" on Mon January 23, 2017 22:34:08

Realistically, where else is one going to find out about a small, self-published book about a topic that's at best a small niche?

I don't think many books written about virtually ANY of the topics discussed on this board would even recoup their costs when you factor in time spent travelling, interviewing, compiling different data, etc.

I think most of what's "advertised" here only serves to create more to talk about in the long run. It's not like there are hundreds of posts per day here. If there's a thread about an upcoming book and someone isn't interested, it's surely not that hard to just skip it.

It's not like -- and I use this PURELY as an example -- someone who self publishes a limited run of books on the Winter Dance Party, separated into volumes, is going to have the funds to buy ads on, say, RollingStone.com, nor would they ever recoup even a tiny fraction of their investment. That just means less of the ever-dwindling audience that's into this stuff finds out about it and less people are inclined to do this type of work.

For better or worse, this site is about as close to a "commercial" site as it gets for '50s rock 'n' roll. Perhaps the concept of moving it to a more modern forum would then enable advertising to be a possibility -- advertising that would likely pay for said upgrades -- but it's my opinion that in a forum that has relatively little traffic such as this one, the "advertising" and subsequent discussion of any commercial project is probably beneficial to most in the long run.

Again, just my opinion.

[ Next Thread | Previous Thread | Next Message | Previous Message ]

Replies:
Subject Author Date
Re: AdvertisingGregTue January 24, 2017 16:17:15

VoyUser Login ] Not required to post.
Post a public reply to this message | Go post a new public message
Note: This forum is moderated -- new posts are not visible until approved.
* HTML allowed in marked fields.
Message subject (required):

Name (required):

Expression (Optional mood/title along with your name) Examples: (happy, sad, The Joyful, etc.) help)

E-mail address (optional):

Type your message here:

Note: This forum is moderated -- new posts are not visible until approved.

Notice: Copies of your message may remain on this and other systems on internet. Please be respectful.

[ Contact Forum Admin ]

Forum timezone: GMT-6
VF Version: 3.00b, ConfDB:
Before posting please read our privacy policy.
VoyForums(tm) is a Free Service from Voyager Info-Systems.
Copyright © 1998-2017 Voyager Info-Systems. All Rights Reserved.