VoyForums

VoyUser Login optional ] [ Contact Forum Admin ] [ Main index ] [ Post a new message ] [ Search | Check update time | Archives: 12345678910 ]
Subject: Ooby Dooby

Author:
Dave H
[ Next Thread | Previous Thread | Next Message | Previous Message ]
Date Posted: Wed February 08, 2017 07:57:11

My wife bought me a record player for Christmas, largely because I had been banging on for literally years about playing my old 78's (especially those inherited from my mother and grandmother) and transferring them to PC. However, she got one that also plays 45's and 33's. So I have been playing my old 45's.

I have an Roy Orbison EP called "Hillbilly Rock" that includes a version of "Ooby Dooby". It is the version I remember from all those years ago, and is different from those I have heard online. This is a Sun recording on London American RE-S 1089. How many versions of this song did O record?!

Also I recall running a thread about Fess Parker's Davy Crockett flipside "Farewell", which I can now play at last. It states on the label "as originally performed on TV by Fess Parker", but it isn't the same as any of the versions on Youtube! I always wanted to do this song in my act, but never could because I always got a lump in my throat when I tried to rehearse it!

I have some good 78's in the box. Oh Boy b/w Not Fade Away by The Crickets with orchestral accompaniment. Kay Starr "Rock n Roll Waltz", Perry Como, Jane Morgan, Elias and his Zig Zag Jive Flutes "Tom Hark" (did that one make it to the States?), David Whitfield and several by Mario Lanza, who was my mum's favourite.

There are also some flip sides of other non 50's 45's that are different from those to be found online. I won't go into those of course, because they are not for this board, but I will mention one just to make a point. I have a single by String Driven Thing from 1976 called "But I Do" that is different to any of the versions online, but is described on the label as "taken from the album "Keep Yer 'And On It". But it isn't the same as the track on the album!! This is not the only instance of this. Do the record companies just dip in and use any old take for a flipside?

Dave H

[ Next Thread | Previous Thread | Next Message | Previous Message ]

Replies:
Subject Author Date
Re: Ooby DoobyLothar PeddThu February 09, 2017 10:15:11

VoyUser Login ] Not required to post.
Post a public reply to this message | Go post a new public message
Note: This forum is moderated -- new posts are not visible until approved.
* HTML allowed in marked fields.
Message subject (required):

Name (required):

Expression (Optional mood/title along with your name) Examples: (happy, sad, The Joyful, etc.) help)

E-mail address (optional):

Type your message here:

Note: This forum is moderated -- new posts are not visible until approved.

Notice: Copies of your message may remain on this and other systems on internet. Please be respectful.

[ Contact Forum Admin ]

Forum timezone: GMT-6
VF Version: 3.00b, ConfDB:
Before posting please read our privacy policy.
VoyForums(tm) is a Free Service from Voyager Info-Systems.
Copyright © 1998-2016 Voyager Info-Systems. All Rights Reserved.