VoyForums

VoyUser Login optional ] [ Contact Forum Admin ] [ Main index ] [ Post a new message ] [ Search | Check update time | Archives: 12345678910 ]
Subject: Silver Eagle Best Of B. Holly questions

Author:
Dale
[ Next Thread | Previous Thread | Next Message | Previous Message ]
Date Posted: Sun February 19, 2017 16:52:58

Hi

I'm hoping some of you can share some detailed information
about this particular compilation, specifically the circumstances of how it was sourced.

All of us are aware of the Hoffman compiled "from the original master tapes" cd, re titled "Legend" for vinyl.

Some will argue, but for me that collection stands alone as the gold standard for audio fidelity, even though the digital transfers were done during the infancy of that medium. Due to the utilization of the first generation master tapes (for the first and only time) and skill of Mr. Hoffman, that release has never been exceeded in the 30 plus years since it's release in 1985.

This brings me to Silver Eagle lp #SE 1005.

Issued in 1982 (I am only aware of vinyl copies),
there is a circled stamp style declaration on the front cover stating "certified Original Master Recordings".

My general understanding of the N. Petty-Steve Hoffman agreement to transfer the original Clovis masters to a digital format did not begin until 1983.

Careful listening to the Silver Eagle pressing does reveal some delights. Firstly, the audio quality is very good, for many of the songs I would say among the best on vinyl. Thankfully, with the possible exception of Love's Made A Fool Of You (handclaps dubbed version), everything that should be mono is true mono. Nothing is "reprocessed" for fake stereo.

I am intrigued because I have always hoped for at least a second volume of "from the Original Master Tapes".

Although this Silver Eagle lp has a few questionable selections, it does offer great cuts like Ready Teddy, Send Me Some Lovin', Raining In My heart (mono), and the sprightly Fireballs overdubbed version (stereo) of Slippin' and Slidin', none of which are on the Hoffman release.

So, with regard to the source material for the Silver Eagle lp.:

Does the front cover declaration simply indicate the best tapes MCA already had before the Hoffman digital transfers were made? If so they would be second generation at best.
Even so, some extra degree of care was in play, as the "fake stereo from mono re channeled" versions are happily not used.

Could this collection actually be sourced from the Hoffman transfers, 3 years before the famous cd?

Does anyone know of an authentic cd edition of the Silver Eagle release?

If the Silver Eagle lp was sourced from second generation MCA "safety masters", could it be an all analogue production?

Any light you can shed on these questions would be very welcome.

cheers

[ Next Thread | Previous Thread | Next Message | Previous Message ]

Replies:
Subject Author Date
Re: Silver Eagle Best Of B. Holly questionsdriftwoodSun February 26, 2017 10:59:10
Re: Silver Eagle Best Of B. Holly questionsQ. SukiyakiSat March 04, 2017 05:24:25
Re: Silver Eagle Best Of B. Holly questionsJean-P.Chapados (JPthe RaBCaT)Sat April 01, 2017 09:23:46
Re: Silver Eagle Best Of B. Holly questionsJean-P,Chapados (JPtheRaBCaT)Sat April 01, 2017 09:30:16

VoyUser Login ] Not required to post.
Post a public reply to this message | Go post a new public message
Note: This forum is moderated -- new posts are not visible until approved.
* HTML allowed in marked fields.
Message subject (required):

Name (required):

Expression (Optional mood/title along with your name) Examples: (happy, sad, The Joyful, etc.) help)

E-mail address (optional):

Type your message here:

Note: This forum is moderated -- new posts are not visible until approved.

Notice: Copies of your message may remain on this and other systems on internet. Please be respectful.

[ Contact Forum Admin ]

Forum timezone: GMT-6
VF Version: 3.00b, ConfDB:
Before posting please read our privacy policy.
VoyForums(tm) is a Free Service from Voyager Info-Systems.
Copyright © 1998-2016 Voyager Info-Systems. All Rights Reserved.