VoyForums
1 CLICK GIVES FREE FOOD!
www.TheHungerSite.com
Protect Habitat with a Click!
www.TheRainforestSite.com
Non-profit ad served by VoyForums...

VoyUser Login optional ] [ Contact Forum Admin ] [ Main index ] [ Post a new message ] [ Search | Check update time | Archives: 12345678910 ]
Subject: BBC Buddy Holly: Rave On documentary

Author:
M. Bloom
[ Next Thread | Previous Thread | Next Message | Previous Message ]
Date Posted: Mon May 15, 2017 12:24:31

The warning: “Contains some strong language,” made me smile. And scratch my head.

The preamble: <<He was lanky, he wore glasses and he sang as if permanently battling hiccups. Aesthetically, Buddy Holly might have been the most unlikely looking rock 'n' roll star of the 1950s. But he was, after Elvis Presley, unquestionably the most influential.

It was an all-too-brief career that lasted barely 18 months from That'll Be The Day topping the Billboard charts to the plane crash in February 1959 in Iowa that took Holly's life. That day was immortalised in Don McLean's 1971 song American Pie, and has become known as 'the day the music died'.

This film tells the story of Buddy Holly's tragically short life and career through interviews with those who knew him and worked with him. This combined with contributions from music fans paints a picture of an artist who changed music. Rock 'n' roll started with Elvis, but pop music started with Buddy Holly and The Crickets.

In an age of solo stars, Holly also led the first recognisable 'pop' group, The Crickets, who in name alone inspired The Beatles. As a songwriter, he revolutionised rock 'n' roll by introducing dynamic new rhythms and unpredictable melodies beyond its traditional blues roots. In his songs, written and recorded in the late 50s, we can already hear the beat group sound of the 1960s and beyond.

Buddy Holly's story remains one of the most dramatic tales in rock 'n' roll, one which nearly 60 years after his breakthrough hit That'll Be The Day, deserves to be told again for a new generation. His life was tragically short. His legacy is triumphantly infinite.>>

Certainly, I never expected this program to be available to North America, but some brave soul posted it on you*tube, late Friday night; I was thrilled to watch it, looking forward to a second viewing this week, once the busy-ness of Mother’s Day was over and my house was empty... unfortunately, the program has been removed.

Sorry, to all who missed this, the latest modern interpretation of our age-old story. Happy to report Buddy's historical importance continues to grow strong... forward momentum... under the auspices of respected, BBC. When I did a quick scan for someone else Sunday evening, there had been 778 views ~~ an impressive word-of-mouth dissemination in 24hrs.

I regret I didn’t take notes, but understand, I naively thought I could watch it again...

Sure, it is a re-assemblage of the facts we all know well, but there were new photos, new points of view from younger minds, long interviews with many musicians who don’t, normally, interview. So many: Paul Anka, Brian May (lead guitarist, Queen), Don McLean, JI, Dion, Larry Welborn, Larry Holley, MEHDH, looked as though they’re doing well, all these years, later. Sadly for me, Don Everly has clearly gone through something difficult.

There was considerable, welcome commentary from a bright, young female journalist who enhanced the nearly 60year historical perspective of our story which was most refreshing, raising the story higher, hopefully capturing a new generation.

I sincerely thank the individual who initially put forth the effort to post the 59minute video. I had his name, but... in my fury, today, all detail is gone.

Apparently, available for 27 days on iPlayer if anyone can figure out how to access it.

God, I wish I could see this again.

[ Next Thread | Previous Thread | Next Message | Previous Message ]

Replies:
Subject Author Date
Re: BBC Buddy Holly: Rave On documentaryFrankTue May 16, 2017 03:44:11
Re: BBC Buddy Holly: Rave On documentarymulliganSun August 06, 2017 19:41:33

VoyUser Login ] Not required to post.
Post a public reply to this message | Go post a new public message
Note: This forum is moderated -- new posts are not visible until approved.
* HTML allowed in marked fields.
Message subject (required):

Name (required):

Expression (Optional mood/title along with your name) Examples: (happy, sad, The Joyful, etc.) help)

E-mail address (optional):

Type your message here:

Note: This forum is moderated -- new posts are not visible until approved.

Notice: Copies of your message may remain on this and other systems on internet. Please be respectful.

[ Contact Forum Admin ]

Forum timezone: GMT-6
VF Version: 3.00b, ConfDB:
Before posting please read our privacy policy.
VoyForums(tm) is a Free Service from Voyager Info-Systems.
Copyright © 1998-2016 Voyager Info-Systems. All Rights Reserved.