VoyForums

VoyUser Login optional ] [ Contact Forum Admin ] [ Main index ] [ Post a new message ] [ Search | Check update time | Archives: 12345678910 ]
Subject: Re: Hank didn't visit Lubbock- but who did ?

Author:
Roddy Jordan
[ Next Thread | Previous Thread | Next Message | Previous Message ]
Date Posted: Tue June 13, 2017 15:49:05
In reply to: Jess 's message, "Re: Hank didn't visit Lubbock- but who did ?" on Mon June 12, 2017 17:47:13

Jess and Lachlan

I will try to make this as short as I can but it is an interesting story within itself.

I was born in a small country town named Glen Innes in Northern New South Wales and whilst growing up we listened to radio station 2NZ broadcasting from a neighbouring town, Inverell.

Every morning between 5-8.30 a.m. they played what we called 'Hillbilly music' back in the days or some called it Country and Western.

They played all the big Aussie stars namely the King Slim Dusty, Reg Lindsay, Buddy Williams etc and many others of course. Included in that group of singers in 1959 was a man named Albert Geoffrey McElhinney, later known as Geoff Mack and they played a song he had written called 'I've Been Everywhere' which back in those days we called a 'ditty song' i.e. One for amusement.

The song sold reasonably well but only in the Hillbilly music area.

However, in 1962 on the recommendation of Australian Bandstand host Brian Henderson, a man named Lucky Starr re-recorded it and wow! It became a sensation selling all around the world.

In late November I think 1962, it was adapted for the American market and recorded by Hank Snow who also had a hit with it.

To the best of my knowledge, Lucky Starr recorded 26 different country versions and it has been covered by at least 100 other artists.

So that is the true story not the story RCA Nashville has been peddling for years.

It was written and recorded by Aussie Geoff Mack and re-recorded by Lucky Starr another Aussie.

Christine and I were doing a tour of the RCA studios in Nashville a few years ago and we were being led by a guide. The guide asked the group could anybody name this song he was about to play and he played the Snow version saying that it was written by Snow and also first recorded by him.

I did not say anything to him in front of the other guests but waited until we were alone and then explained the true story of the song. Well did he become indignant! So angry about me correcting him that I just gave up and we left the studio quite disgusted by the lies being spoken about the song.

Incidentally, the song was offered to the then superstar of Country and Western music Slim Dusty who turned it down. I have lost count the number of times I have seen him playing live. What an artist.

[ Next Thread | Previous Thread | Next Message | Previous Message ]

Replies:
Subject Author Date
Re: Hank didn't visit Lubbock- but who did ?JessTue June 13, 2017 16:23:03
Re: Hank didn't visit Lubbock- but who did ?LachlanSun July 02, 2017 13:37:16
Re: Hank didn't visit Lubbock- but who did ?Mark DillmanTue September 19, 2017 12:27:05

VoyUser Login ] Not required to post.
Post a public reply to this message | Go post a new public message
Note: This forum is moderated -- new posts are not visible until approved.
* HTML allowed in marked fields.
Message subject (required):

Name (required):

Expression (Optional mood/title along with your name) Examples: (happy, sad, The Joyful, etc.) help)

E-mail address (optional):

Type your message here:

Note: This forum is moderated -- new posts are not visible until approved.

Notice: Copies of your message may remain on this and other systems on internet. Please be respectful.

[ Contact Forum Admin ]

Forum timezone: GMT-6
VF Version: 3.00b, ConfDB:
Before posting please read our privacy policy.
VoyForums(tm) is a Free Service from Voyager Info-Systems.
Copyright © 1998-2017 Voyager Info-Systems. All Rights Reserved.