VoyForums

VoyUser Login optional ] [ Contact Forum Admin ] [ Main index ] [ Post a new message ] [ Search | Check update time | Archives: 12345678910 ]
Subject: "Simply Buddy"

Author:
Sue (in Arizona) (Book report)
[ Next Thread | Previous Thread | Next Message | Previous Message ]
Date Posted: Wed June 14, 2017 19:12:53

“Simply Buddy” by Forrest McGrew
Stohl University Press 2015
Book Report June 2017 by Sue Frederick

If this were a book review on Amazon.com, I would give the book two stars. The book is rather long with many typos, wrong words used, inaccurate misinformation, etc. While reading the book, I had pen and paper handy to note the typos, etc. There is a sample of these later on in the review.

Including everything, the book is 634 pages long. The print is rather large. The print does not have “newspaper margins”, i.e., the print is even on the left margin, but not on the right.

The only pictures are on the front & back cover; there are NO pictures inside the book. There is no index. The chapters are named after Buddy Holly songs, and not numbered in the table of contents, only when you get to a chapter, is the number given.

The author’s writing style was easy to get into. But I got the impression that he was just “skimming” Buddy Holly’s life.

Mr McGrew quotes extensively from John Goldrosen’s book, “Buddy Holly – His Life and Music”. He also quotes a lot of the articles from the Buddy Holly Memorial Society newsletter/magazine, “Reminiscing”, written by the late Bill Griggs. I don’t know if these publications are still under copyright; the author never states that he has permission to print excerpts from these and other books, such as Waylon Jennings’ autobiography.

The author has a writeup in the book about the time that Jape Richardson’s body was exhumed. This was taken from “Reminiscing”. For another account of this, there is Dr. Bass’ book: BEYOND THE BODY FARM BILL BASS & JON JEFFERSON MORROW 2007.

In the latter part of the book, he has an extensive account of the movie, “The Buddy Holly Story”, and seems to think it’s okay that the movie was so inaccurate.

Here is the sample list of typos, wrong words used, misspellings, etc.

Page
48 UK rock group “Tremloes” TREMELOES

112 the “scares” remain The SCARS remain

117 without being “conscience” of the fact Without being CONSCIOUS of the fact

184 Rave On . . . that was to be released in April of 1959. APRIL 1958.

215 & 419 When Eddie Cochran died in “March 1960".
Eddie Cochran and Gene Vincent had been touring the UK in early 1960. Eddie Cochran, Gene Vincent, and Eddie’s fiancee, songwriter Sharon Sheeley, were in the backseat of a taxi on their way to the airport to return to the US. The taxi crashed. Gene & Sharon was seriously injured and hospitalized. Eddie Cochran was thrown onto the pavement and critically injured. He died on the operating table at the hospital. THIS HAPPENED ON EASTER SUNDAY, APRIL 17, 1960.

232 & 445 Linda “Ronstandt”. That’s RONSTADT For more than a century the Ronstadt family has been prominent here in Tucson, Arizona.

361 Cannot find information on Larry Holley Try to find Larry’s book:
I DON’T KNOW HOW I DID IT LARRY HOLLEY PRIV. PUB. 2007

441 An investigation into the death of Bobby Fuller has began in the State of Texas.
Why would Texas be investigating this? Bobby Fuller died in July 1966 in LOS ANGELES, CALIFORNIA. It was probably a murder.

447 Since Holly’s death, over one hundred different artists have at one time or another, whether here [the US] or overseas have recorded a Buddy Holly song.

I’ve done a lot of research into cover versions of Buddy Holly’s songs; around 700 or more artists and groups have recorded his songs, from 1957 to the present day.

449 The name “American Pie” is supposedly the name of the plane
THE BEECHCRAFT BONANZA DID NOT HAVE A NAME!! How many times must this “American Pie” business be debunked?!!?? Where did this misinformation come from? The Bonanza was known by its registration number: N3794N

498 Once Bill [Griggs] decided to go ahead and form the society [Buddy Holly Memorial Society], Sue “Fredrick” became the first member

I DON’T LIKE HAVING MY NAME SPELLED WRONG. My name is SUE FREDERICK (note the middle “E”). After the Holley family and the Crickets, I was member #22; I still have the certificate somewhere.

504 Bill Griggs, and found he had died of leukemia. Bill Griggs had COLON CANCER.

526 began the thought of promoting “Bunny” Holly That’s BUDDY HOLLY

552 Ricardo Valenzuela Ritchie Valens’ full name was RICHARD STEVEN VALENZUELA

I’ m not recommending as to whether someone else should buy it, skip it, or whatever. Everyone can make up their own mind about that.

[ Next Thread | Previous Thread | Next Message | Previous Message ]

Replies:
Subject Author Date
Re: "Simply Buddy"J. Forrest McGrewThu June 15, 2017 10:30:28
Re: "Simply Buddy"Chris ReesFri June 16, 2017 13:50:34
Re: "Simply Buddy"MollyFri June 16, 2017 16:40:45
Re: "Simply Buddy"GregFri June 16, 2017 20:16:05

VoyUser Login ] Not required to post.
Post a public reply to this message | Go post a new public message
Note: This forum is moderated -- new posts are not visible until approved.
* HTML allowed in marked fields.
Message subject (required):

Name (required):

Expression (Optional mood/title along with your name) Examples: (happy, sad, The Joyful, etc.) help)

E-mail address (optional):

Type your message here:

Note: This forum is moderated -- new posts are not visible until approved.

Notice: Copies of your message may remain on this and other systems on internet. Please be respectful.

[ Contact Forum Admin ]

Forum timezone: GMT-6
VF Version: 3.00b, ConfDB:
Before posting please read our privacy policy.
VoyForums(tm) is a Free Service from Voyager Info-Systems.
Copyright © 1998-2017 Voyager Info-Systems. All Rights Reserved.