VoyForums

VoyUser Login optional ] [ Contact Forum Admin ] [ Main index ] [ Post a new message ] [ Search | Check update time | Archives: 12345678910 ]
Subject: Re: "Sun Records"

Author:
Mark Dillman
[ Next Thread | Previous Thread | Next Message | Previous Message ]
Date Posted: Tue September 19, 2017 11:54:17
In reply to: Dan D. 's message, ""Sun Records"" on Sat August 26, 2017 18:50:12

Based on what I've read about Sun Records and Sam Phillips by reputable authors, especially Colin Escott and Peter Guralnick, this TV series was factually correct. The look of the 1950s was pretty good. The soap opera-like mess of Sam Phillip's love life is like what Guralnick describes in his book. I fully understand that it would be nearly impossible to portray every significant musician who recorded at Sam's studio and that some were left out in this series. I think it would have been pretty exciting to see a second season with the rise to the top of the charts of Carl Perkins, Johnny Cash, and Jerry Lee Lewis and the mass exodus from Sun in 1958 (Johnny Cash, Carl Perkins, Roy Orbison, Billy Lee Riley, and Sonny Burgess all left in 1958!). There is certainly more of the story to tell. I'm just wondering if the viewership would been better if the series had been on a different channel.

[ Next Thread | Previous Thread | Next Message | Previous Message ]

VoyUser Login ] Not required to post.
Post a public reply to this message | Go post a new public message
Note: This forum is moderated -- new posts are not visible until approved.
* HTML allowed in marked fields.
Message subject (required):

Name (required):

Expression (Optional mood/title along with your name) Examples: (happy, sad, The Joyful, etc.) help)

E-mail address (optional):

Type your message here:

Note: This forum is moderated -- new posts are not visible until approved.

Notice: Copies of your message may remain on this and other systems on internet. Please be respectful.

[ Contact Forum Admin ]

Forum timezone: GMT-6
VF Version: 3.00b, ConfDB:
Before posting please read our privacy policy.
VoyForums(tm) is a Free Service from Voyager Info-Systems.
Copyright © 1998-2017 Voyager Info-Systems. All Rights Reserved.