VoyForums

Login ] [ Contact Forum Admin ] [ Main index ] [ Post a new message ] [ Search | Check update time | Archives: 12345678910 ]
Subject: Re: Here We Go Again -Part Two

Author:
Mike C
[ Next Thread | Previous Thread | Next Message | Previous Message ]
Date Posted: Sun June 03, 2018 00:53:39
In reply to: Roddy Jordan 's message, "Re: Here We Go Again -Part Two" on Thu May 31, 2018 15:39:01

Roddy, I'm not an expert on Valens either (or very much else). I'm just looking at sources.

Something I forgot to mention: according to Goldrosen/Beecher, the early 1958 Honolulu concert (9 Feb) took place at a venue called Scofield Barracks. Amburn refers to a concert at the Civic Auditorium, suggesting he is talking about a different event. I don’t have a copy of the Griggs ‘Day by Day’ project – maybe someone who has can comment whether there is any reference to Holly being in Hawaii in November 1958. He was married by then of course. Dr. Jeff has used the 1975 edition of the Goldrosen book which I don’t think had the tour details information in it like the later tabloid version.
According to that version Holly didn’t tour in November 1958.

If someone such as Dr. Jeff wants to write a book about Buddy Holly I don’t think it’s reasonable to expect they should start from a blank sheet of paper and research everything from scratch. All biographers use the existing bibliography. Unfortunately Jeff doesn’t seem to start from a position of a knowledgeable Holly fan and as Sue has said in the other thread, he has perhaps assumed that all previous work is of equal value. I don’t think your own book, Roddy, is available other than by direct order to you so there will be useful stuff like that not on his radar.

I don't think this completely undermines his book but it’s a pity it is so full of typos and based on flawed research because he explores some interesting themes, e.g. Holly’s sexuality and the hypocritical attitude of the churches towards rock and roll music.

So it’s still a mystery where that information comes from!

Mike

[ Next Thread | Previous Thread | Next Message | Previous Message ]

Replies:
Subject Author Date
Re: Here We Go Again -Part TwoRandy SteeleSun June 03, 2018 23:13:55

Login ] Create Account Not required to post.
Post a public reply to this message | Go post a new public message
Note: This forum is moderated -- new posts are not visible until approved.
* HTML allowed in marked fields.
Message subject (required):

Name (required):

Expression (Optional mood/title along with your name) Examples: (happy, sad, The Joyful, etc.) help)

E-mail address (optional):

Type your message here:

Note: This forum is moderated -- new posts are not visible until approved.

Notice: Copies of your message may remain on this and other systems on internet. Please be respectful.

[ Contact Forum Admin ]

Forum timezone: GMT-6
VF Version: 3.00b, ConfDB:
Before posting please read our privacy policy.
VoyForums(tm) is a Free Service from Voyager Info-Systems.
Copyright © 1998-2017 Voyager Info-Systems. All Rights Reserved.