VoyForums

VoyUser Login optional ] [ Contact Forum Admin ] [ Main index ] [ Post a new message ] [ Search | Check update time | Archives: 12345678910 ]
Subject: Can this be true ?

Author:
Jess
[ Next Thread | Previous Thread | Next Message | Previous Message ]
Date Posted: Wed July 18, 2018 15:27:38

Music lovers around the world are remembering February 3rd, as "The Day The Music Died."

On February 3, 1959, Buddy Holly, Ritchie Valens, and the Big Bopper were killed in a plane crash in Iowa.

A Merrill man talked to us about the day Buddy Holly performed at the Rothschild Pavilion and how a chance encounter with the rock and roll legend changed his life.

" Buddy Holly had quite the influence in my life, " says Danny Krueger.

The date was July 12, 1958.

20 year old Krueger and his friends had tickets to see Buddy Holly perform at the Rothschild Pavilion.

After the show, Krueger says he ran into Holly at a bar in Schofield.

He says Holly must have recognized them from being in the audience at the show.

" Buddy walked right over to us and I said hey Buddy let me buy you a beer, and He said let me buy you a beer, and I said no I'll get it and that was the last beer I bought that night."

He says he and Holly talked until closing time about the places he has toured overseas and the musicians he had worked with.

Krueger says Holly even told him he made 50,000 the previous year. "The average salary for a man back then was about $2,500," says Krueger.

Then Krueger and his friends invited Holly to a house party.

"I ran to my house grabbed my records and my record player.

We hopped in our '49 Chevy ans he hopped in his powder blue Lincoln Town Car and he followed us all the way down Grand Avenue to Broadway [in Wausau] that's where the house was, and we partied until 6 in the morning."

He describes the musician as a down to earth guy.

"He swore with us, he drank with us he's just a normal guy you'd never think he was an entertainer. "

Krueger says holly loved his voice and gave him career advice.
" I got into Radio for 35 years, I ended my career here in Merrill as a morning man and I put a band together."

Ironically the band he eventually took over opened for Buddy Holly.

Krueger says the day after the house party, Holly invited the group to come to his show near Rhinelander.

He never talked to Holly after those two days of partying but he says his connection to the music legend never stopped.

"The day I brought home my wife and new born baby home from the hospital was the day Buddy Holly died. "

For Krueger the music didn't die on February 3rd, his memories of Buddy Holly's life and music have left a permanent mark in the song book of his life.

In addition to pictures and an autograph, Krueger found holly's cigarette lighter in his couch several days later

[ Next Thread | Previous Thread | Next Message | Previous Message ]

Replies:
Subject Author Date
Re: Can this be true ?LarryThu July 19, 2018 17:36:47

VoyUser Login ] Not required to post.
Post a public reply to this message | Go post a new public message
Note: This forum is moderated -- new posts are not visible until approved.
* HTML allowed in marked fields.
Message subject (required):

Name (required):

Expression (Optional mood/title along with your name) Examples: (happy, sad, The Joyful, etc.) help)

E-mail address (optional):

Type your message here:

Note: This forum is moderated -- new posts are not visible until approved.

Notice: Copies of your message may remain on this and other systems on internet. Please be respectful.

[ Contact Forum Admin ]

Forum timezone: GMT-6
VF Version: 3.00b, ConfDB:
Before posting please read our privacy policy.
VoyForums(tm) is a Free Service from Voyager Info-Systems.
Copyright © 1998-2017 Voyager Info-Systems. All Rights Reserved.