VoyForums

Login ] [ Contact Forum Admin ] [ Main index ] [ Post a new message ] [ Search | Check update time | Archives: 12345678910 ]
Subject: Re: New Buddy Holly Demos

Author:
Mike C
[ Next Thread | Previous Thread | Next Message | Previous Message ]
Date Posted: Thu July 19, 2018 11:21:54
In reply to: Dale 's message, "Re: New Buddy Holly Demos" on Wed July 18, 2018 15:37:59

'This created a major backlash from MEH'

Dale, I am wondering why you single out a ‘backlash’ from Maria when what you refer to was in fact a very complex series of lawsuits involving not only her but also the wider Holley family, the Petty estate and the Crickets. The issues included getting MCA Records to raise the royalty rate from 1950s levels to then current (2004) rates in the light of rising CD prices and reduced packaging costs. The legal process took nearly twenty years and I should have thought that its eventual success – which opened the way for the release of the box set ‘Not Fade Away’ - would be a matter for congratulation for the parties concerned including Maria, rather than singling her out as a cause of obstruction and delay.

Another part of this process involved Bill Griggs listening to every master in the hands of those same four parties in order to determine exactly who should get royalties in each case.

People are taking a few pops at Maria right now for the daftest of reasons (e.g. I have just read in another thread that ‘everything has to go through Maria’ – what a joke!). I suggest that with the issue you refer to, MCA were the villains of the piece unless you think it was fair of them to limit these royalty rates in which case you would need to associate with your criticism people like the Holley family, Jerry Allison et al.

Mike

[ Next Thread | Previous Thread | Next Message | Previous Message ]

Replies:
Subject Author Date
Re: New Buddy Holly DemosRoddy JordanFri July 20, 2018 16:00:42
Re: New Buddy Holly DemosDaleFri July 20, 2018 16:43:12

Login ] Create Account Not required to post.
Post a public reply to this message | Go post a new public message
Note: This forum is moderated -- new posts are not visible until approved.
* HTML allowed in marked fields.
Message subject (required):

Name (required):

Expression (Optional mood/title along with your name) Examples: (happy, sad, The Joyful, etc.) help)

E-mail address (optional):

Type your message here:

Note: This forum is moderated -- new posts are not visible until approved.

Notice: Copies of your message may remain on this and other systems on internet. Please be respectful.

[ Contact Forum Admin ]

Forum timezone: GMT-6
VF Version: 3.00b, ConfDB:
Before posting please read our privacy policy.
VoyForums(tm) is a Free Service from Voyager Info-Systems.
Copyright © 1998-2017 Voyager Info-Systems. All Rights Reserved.