VoyForums

VoyUser Login optional ] [ Contact Forum Admin ] [ Main index ] [ Post a new message ] [ Search | Check update time | Archives: 12345678910 ]
Subject: Re: New Buddy Holly Demos

Author:
Mike C
[ Next Thread | Previous Thread | Next Message | Previous Message ]
Date Posted: Tue July 31, 2018 08:46:05
In reply to: Dale 's message, "Re: New Buddy Holly Demos" on Fri July 20, 2018 16:43:12

Dale, many thanks for your detailed reply.

As I understand it, you have two main gripes:

1 When Holly died, no-one took overall control of his ‘legacy’.

2 For you, sound quality is all-important and this has been sacrificed on the altar of royalties.

These two specific points underscore a commonly held view here – our hero was taken too soon, we feel very cheated, it must be someone’s fault so let’s blame ‘MEH’ as she is usually objectified here (she is rarely given the courtesy of being called by her name) she didn’t even go to the funeral - that just shows how unworthy she is of anyone’s sympathy. She is a convenient scapegoat for everyone’s frustration.

I argue that this is very unfair. Let’s take the legacy issue first. Buddy Holly’s career was brief and chaotic and when he died his recordings, official or otherwise, were scattered far and wide. As I understand it, Maria handed over what she had to the Holley family. Four questions for you:

1 What else should she have done?

2 Who are these ‘Clovis insiders’?

3 You blame Maria for depriving fans of the use of the Petty master tapes. How fair is this, bearing in mind that you then say they weren’t used when a box set was eventually released two decades later?

4 Is it not the case that the ‘first salvo’ of legal action, as you call it, was a joint salvo from Maria and the Holley family?

Now for your second point about sacrificing sound quality. Forgive me, but I think this is so much pretentious technobabble. No offence I trust. Frank, with whom you are discussing nuances of sound quality, knows my views on this. But then I’m a guy who loves the original sound of the Hansen overdubs so I’m on a different planet to many others. It’s a bit unreasonable to expect Maria to understand the difference between a first or second generation tape and I see she’s now being blamed for not stopping the Picks overdubs!

I’ve been a Holly fan since 1957 and I don’t feel in the slightest ‘short changed’. On the contrary, I’m very happy with what we’ve got, which is a lot more than we had on 3 February 1959.

I’ve got lots more to say but it can wait for the moment. I’ll stop there and see what you have to say. I would like to have a better understanding of these issues so do jump in if you think I’ve got anything wrong.

Mike

[ Next Thread | Previous Thread | Next Message | Previous Message ]

Replies:
Subject Author Date
Re: New Buddy Holly DemosRickDSat August 18, 2018 00:36:56

VoyUser Login ] Not required to post.
Post a public reply to this message | Go post a new public message
Note: This forum is moderated -- new posts are not visible until approved.
* HTML allowed in marked fields.
Message subject (required):

Name (required):

Expression (Optional mood/title along with your name) Examples: (happy, sad, The Joyful, etc.) help)

E-mail address (optional):

Type your message here:

Note: This forum is moderated -- new posts are not visible until approved.

Notice: Copies of your message may remain on this and other systems on internet. Please be respectful.

[ Contact Forum Admin ]

Forum timezone: GMT-6
VF Version: 3.00b, ConfDB:
Before posting please read our privacy policy.
VoyForums(tm) is a Free Service from Voyager Info-Systems.
Copyright © 1998-2017 Voyager Info-Systems. All Rights Reserved.