VoyForums

Login ] [ Contact Forum Admin ] [ Main index ] [ Post a new message ] [ Search | Check update time | Archives: 12345678910 ]
Subject: Re: Peggy Sue Gerron has passed away

Author:
Lachlan
[ Next Thread | Previous Thread | Next Message | Previous Message ]
Date Posted: Fri October 19, 2018 14:19:07
In reply to: Dale 's message, "Re: Peggy Sue Gerron has passed away" on Mon October 15, 2018 17:28:42

G'day Dale,

Interesting point, but it's that specific line "You recall a girl that's been in nearly every song" which is more or less self-explanatory. The character "Peggy Sue" had been in many songs by the time Buddy wrote the sequel to the original song. It's almost a throwaway line. Buddy's father has been credited with suggesting to Buddy that he should write a follow-up to "Peggy Sue". Given the recent events, it wouldn't have been hard for Buddy to formulate a song from them. Peggy Sue had gotten married.

Was Peggy Sue Buddy's muse? I have no idea. It has also been suggested by many biographers that Echo McGuire was Buddy's muse. Many of the songs written were with her in mind, or were they? If we were to follow the rocky red road, rather than the one made of yellow bricks; I'd hazard a guess that if one uses the theory that Peggy Sue was Buddy's muse, then nearly everything Buddy wrote which was recorded on the apartment tapes was almost certainly about her. They're all pretty much lamenting a love lost, or the one who got away. If one were to read too far into it, you could almost think that perhaps Buddy wasn't all that happy with his lot in life.

I have no doubt that in reality Buddy loved Maria Elena, but I am sure he was having trouble adjusting to being married as well, and a lot of his freedom being lost. He couldn't hang out with J.I and Joe B and drink beer anymore, or get up to mischief with them on tour. One also has to remember that Buddy really was still a kid too, despite him being elderly for his age in some respects - his marriage proposal to Maria Elena certainly has more than a whiff of youthful impulsiveness about it. Even Maria herself has ceded that over the years.

There is the question of whether or not Buddy was having second thoughts about being married. A mate of mine always used to say "You don't really know someone until you live with them". I think there might be some truth to that. Both Buddy and Maria have/had strong personalities, and they no doubt would clashed on a lot of things. Larry Holley has hinted a few times in various book interviews that Buddy wasn't sure he'd done the right thing. The apartment tapes do seem to reflect that in some aspects.

One thing about all these theories is that they create more questions than they give answers. It is possible that it is all true, or that none of it is. It could also be that I've simply drunk far, far too much coffee, and am over analysing things. Time to lie down, me thinks!

[ Next Thread | Previous Thread | Next Message | Previous Message ]

Login ] Create Account Not required to post.
Post a public reply to this message | Go post a new public message
Note: This forum is moderated -- new posts are not visible until approved.
* HTML allowed in marked fields.
Message subject (required):

Name (required):

Expression (Optional mood/title along with your name) Examples: (happy, sad, The Joyful, etc.) help)

E-mail address (optional):

Type your message here:

Note: This forum is moderated -- new posts are not visible until approved.

Notice: Copies of your message may remain on this and other systems on internet. Please be respectful.

[ Contact Forum Admin ]

Forum timezone: GMT-6
VF Version: 3.00b, ConfDB:
Before posting please read our privacy policy.
VoyForums(tm) is a Free Service from Voyager Info-Systems.
Copyright © 1998-2017 Voyager Info-Systems. All Rights Reserved.